My Moorish Idol stopped eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I have had him for only 3 days, but he ate once. Do you think it is because he is acclimating? I did a very slow drip acclimation. I can accually see his ribs of whatever those bones are now. I am getting worried. I have been trying frozen Brine Shrimp, but maybe I should buy some nori? Would that be a better idea?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these fish have an extremely poor survival rate and need very large tanks to survive. Your 55G is too small for this fish and unless you can get it to someone who has a very stable, large tank, he might be doomed. You can try to put some nori in the tank and soak it in garlic to entice appetite. Also soaking the brine or mysis in garlic should help.

I wish you the best of luck but this is one of the fish in the hobby that should never be taken out of the ocean.

tripper

I agree. I really wish I knew that when I bought him. How can I soak the food in garlic? Isnt garlic solid? If there is anyone near me who would like to buy him off of me... I would be willing to sell him. Because I dont want him to die.

There is a product called Garlic Extreme that you can get at almost any LFS. It is a liquid that you can soak the food in before feeding to the fish.

Do you have anywhere near you that sells live brine shrimp?? That might be another option to try.

tripper

Hmmmm... I dont think there is any place. Cant I buy eggs and hatch them? Or is it better to have bigger ones? Is there a way to soak the food in garlic with garlic cloaves (or whatever they are called).

This is a fish that even "experts" shy away from. You are in over your head on this one "over my head too". You can crush/squeeze the garlic in a press and use it. Where did you get the fish from? Stores do not usually carry them do to them nearly always dying. YOu need live brine now. No time to hatch and grow.

I know, and I am very sorry. I didnt know! And yes, I got it from a LFS. They said they had it for a weke and it was eating (and I am aure that they are telling the truth). But now, he wont eat. He was being kept in a 90g I think, with other fish also. And he gave me the exact food that he was eating. I will see if they will take him back, but I dont think they will.

The problem isn't getting idols to eat. There is something lacking in their diets that we just can't duplicate and even if they do well for awhile, they will slowly decline and ultimately perish. It's sad that lfs's even still carry these fish since, unless you have an extremely large system, most cases end the same. They really should be left in the ocean or with the public aquariums and this is why researching fish before you buy is so very important. I hope they will take him back for you for at least store credit. Good luck.

I would suggesting finding a new LFS if the one where you frequent is selling Morish Idols. These fish were given a 97% captive death rate by a group of scientists, and after reading about the numerous failures with keeping them I would like 98% or higher is likely.

At any rate like Fluff said getting an idol to eat is just one step to suceess. Something they consume in nature cannot be replicated artificially and most of these fish die from lack of nutrients over what is sometimes weeks - months to years. They only strive in overly established tanks where natural food sources are prevolent.

I would contact the LFS where you got him about a possible return and if they will not cooperate and take him as a return I would report thier nature to the Better Business Bureau and MAC.

I called them and told them that he isnt eating, they told me to try a peice of lettuce to entice him to eat, or try flake food. I tried both and he still wont eat. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them if I can exchange it for a different fish.

Yes we got one in our LFS a while ago and it died right away. We dont even bother ordering them anymore. I have yet to meet someone or talk to someone that has kept a moorish idol for more then a couple months. I always ask someone about there tank and and livestock before selling anyone a fish/coral/invert. Your LFS should be more careful when selling livestock. But I guess all they see is money. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom