My poor star...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just looked into my tank and saw that it looks like something has been trying to eat my serpent star. he has a piece taken out of one of his legs.. This is very disturbing since i haven't added anything except an emerald crab and some peppermint shrimp. Any suggestions on what it may be?

After closer inspection he also looks like he's about to split in half..what the heck is going on? The split seems to go right through the middle of him.. He's acting fine and all but I'm still worried.. I did find a type of carnivorous crab in my tank about a week ago but I yanked him out.. The crab was in a piece of LR I got a day before from a LFS. I carefully inspected the rest of the rock and everything seems cool. The star usually stays in that rock now. I wonder now if maybe he was attacked by that crab when it was in there and I just noticed now. :oops:

Sounds like your starfish is about to become two starfish. Poor little guy's lonely and decided to make a friend of himself. Congratulations!

Lets certainly hope it's reproducing.. but I've heard of similar symptoms just before dying. Double check your water parmeters and make sure everything is in line. I've heard starfish are highly sensative to salinity changes. Have you done any large water changes lately?

we'll keep our fingers crossed for ya!

Serpents and Brittles are very very resilient. I had one that got stuck to a powerhead and it litterally pulled all the meat off the center disk along w/ 2 of the 5 legs. 2months later..he was still hanging in there...6months later the center disk looked basically normal and he was starting to regrow legs. Just over a year later and he was over 14inches across!

Dont count him down untill you see the crabs having a buffet on him! :mrgreen:

I just got a serpent star yesterday, that thing is so cool. :D I sure didn't know it would split though. I guess when mine does it I'll be trying to find 1 and new home :mrgreen:

Whelp! I got home from work today just to find the poor guy dead as can be. Kinda looked like the disc rotted. I checked my water and everything checked out ok and I even checked on my brittle star and he's doing great. Guess I'll just have to get another one. I'm thinking he must've been like that for awhile and I just noticed. Usually I never seen him until all the lights were out and it was late at night. I'm thinking it had to be that dang crab I pulled out a week ago. Thanks for everyone's advice though.

Back
Top Bottom