My puffer fish is swimming around with very cloudy eyes and is acting like he's blind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trdrollinon22s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My puffer fish is swimming around with very cloudy eyes and is acting like he's blind. I can always hand feed him but today he didn't even eat not 1 silver side. And my lion fish is the same way. What's going on I check all my water condition levels and everything's great. Even tank temp hasn't changed

1. What kind of puffer and how big is your puffer?
2. Tank size and tank mates?
3. What are your nitrAtes?
4. What do you feed on a weekly basis (and special occasion)?
5. What is your water change schedule?
6. What equipment do you have to keep the water clean?

Cloudy eyes indicate poor water quality and/or stress.

Stars and stripes puffer. 75 gal tank. In with a lion fish. 3+ yrs old. But the lion fish has the same problem. O nitrates and 0 niirites 0 coral

I just changed out 20 gal of water yesterday and changed both filter systems

The water gets changed 20-30 gal every 3-4 weeks. They really like to let a mess lay around

I feed the aggressive tank every other day. And I only feed him 2-3 silver sides

You're overfeeding him. At 9inches, you should be feeding 1-2 times per week until stomach is slightly rounded.

My guess is that your water is polluted due the high level of waste your puffer excretes after meals. It doesn't show up in your water parameter readings because your water is polluted with dissolved waste that are not measureable by test hobby kits.

Do you have a skimmer? Refugium with chaeto? Anything to help keep your water clean?

Your tank is also too small for the stars and stripes alone.

Puffers should not be eating fish at all. Giving puffers fish can lead to fatty liver disease . Overfeeding an incorrect diet can cause that as well.

Puffers should not be eating fish at all. Giving puffers fish can lead to fatty liver disease . Overfeeding an incorrect diet can cause that as well.

I thought the same as well. Then i looked it up and surprising enough its an acceptable source of food. Not much more details than that.. I think it should only be fed as a treat every once in a while. Fish in general are very hard on a puffer's internal organs, especially the kidneys.

Feed a more varied diet. Main staple of crustaceans is the best practice.

I'll look more into the silversides though.

Yep the fish are bad for puffer kidneys too. Everything I have read says no fish for puffers . I would not even feed as a treat it's just not worth it at all IMO .

Back
Top Bottom