My QT tank due to ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterfishgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-29210314.jpg

image-2251759484.jpg

image-2051645697.jpg

Salinity 1.020

.01 down each day.

So far so good.

I hate moving live rock its soooo not fun.

Got the tank new filter pads and heater with hood and coral life t8 for $20.00.

I love craigslist!

Total set up time: 46min

100% display tank water in QT tank. Temp is the same and i took bio balls from mu canister and tucked them in the back of the hang on filter.

This will be a Hypo tank with water changes as stated in the research i have done.

Ok they just ate well i added a hiding place for them. Held down by a magnet cleaner. Lol

So redneck

image-1950989837.jpg

The hiding place as recommended do not use live rock. This has been be able to scrub clean in freshwater. Put back in same position for there comfort.

Ok about to attempt the first salinity drop by .01

Ill put every step with pics in a moment

From what I understand (and what we did yesterday) you don't have to gradually decrease salinity. Going in reverse, to increase salinity later - yes you have to take it slow.
We put a Banggai, Hi Fin banded goby & a Green Clown goby into 1.010 yesterday after a drip acclimation only. Everyone's fine this morning.
My hiding spot is only a little more effort than yours. I raided the recycle bin for a plastic jar (vitamins or something) & cut it in half vertically. TWO hiding spots. ;-)

- D

From what I understand (and what we did yesterday) you don't have to gradually decrease salinity. Going in reverse, to increase salinity later - yes you have to take it slow.
We put a Banggai, Hi Fin banded goby & a Green Clown goby into 1.010 yesterday after a drip acclimation only. Everyone's fine this morning.
My hiding spot is only a little more effort than yours. I raided the recycle bin for a plastic jar (vitamins or something) & cut it in half vertically. TWO hiding spots. ;-)

- D
Correct,,you should drop it within 36 hours ,,but raise it .001 a day after hypo is done..

I would recommend marking the water line with a marker or piece of tape on the outside. With that splash there's going to be a lot of evaporation.

Ok i got the tape, the .01 to raise it... But to lower salinity. I cant find one article on it.

How do you lower tank salinity, maintain and PH ?

It writes:

When the salinity in the system is lowered initially, it is done as if performing a normal water change, except that the replacement water is simply RO water or detoxified tap water without the salt (Don Carner, pers. com.). (If the replacement water is RO/DI or other softened source, then a buffering agent should be employed to prevent pH and alkalinity drops; Thiel, 2003.) Make sure the freshwater you add is thoroughly mixed with the remaining saltwater in the tank as you proceed. This will assure that your salinity/specific gravity readings are accurate. Monitor the lowering closely so as to not reduce it too fast. Achieving the desired specific gravity over a period of several hours is fine (Don Carner, pers. com.). The bacteria colony in the biofilter will survive, the fish will survive, but the parasites will not (Don Carner, pers. com.).

So take out lets say 2 gallons and replace with 2 RO gallons, same temp.... And watch PH?

Thats the tricky part..TBH,i never did it this way..I have ALWAYS QT'ed right away and put the fish into hypo conditions from the start..My QT was and is always at 1.009..I'm really not sure how much you need to take out and replace

:(

Ok well i seem to be doing the "unknown" but i am not afraid!

Ok so here it goes!

image-2838485451.jpg

image-3328961462.jpg

Im taking out 2 gallon and replacing it with same temp freshwater. Salinity now 1.020 and temp 77.7*.

ph 7.5-8.0 reading
No2 & no3 good

And my stupid ammonia test is freshwater only. Off to the store with the rug rats!

:(

Ok well i seem to be doing the "unknown" but i am not afraid!

Ok so here it goes!

View attachment 78159

View attachment 78161

Im taking out 2 gallon and replacing it with same temp freshwater. Salinity now 1.020 and temp 77.7*.

ph 7.5-8.0 reading
No2 & no3 good

And my stupid ammonia test is freshwater only. Off to the store with the rug rats!
:lol:,,gotta love it ,,its always an adventure ...

good luck with the hypo,,it should go smoothly though,and don't be afraid..I'm more afraid taking my kids to stores than doing hypo:lol:..

Grab yourself a turkey baster ;)
You can suck uneaten food and fish waste off of the bottom so easily. Keeps ammonia down.

Did the vacumming of waste with my hypo transformation.

As of 2:30et my readings are as followed

Ph still 7.5-8.0
Salinity came down! 1.016
Ammonia 0mg
Temp 78.4
Fish look so bored in there

Look how nerdy my kitchen looks!!!

image-3301598847.jpg

if i went and saw that in someone's kitchen i'd be impressed ;)
do you have any pvc pipes? cutting them up and putting them in there can give them more places to hide

Back
Top Bottom