My rose BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my Rose BTA for over 8 months and it has been great. Over the past two weeks it has not been opening as it did before and it has stopped hosting my pair of true percs. Yesterday it started to wonder. It left it's spot that it has been in for months and is now stuck to the glass. All water parameters are great with exception of PO4, which is just above .2. I noticed it's foot is huge and the cap is shunk up. Does it look okay? Any suggestions? Thanks! Lando

Sorry for posting the pic twice. I Forgot to mention, I think it is getting enough food and light. It does not look bleached and it's color is good. I have about 4 watts/gal of CF lighting. No top on the tank.

retracted and roaming I think are deffinite signs it's not happy about something. Phosphates shouldn't bother it... but lighting can.. how old are your bulbs? cleaned the protective covers on them recently? Sg ok? I don't know a lot about anenmoes so i can't really offer much more than that. I'm sure you'll get some more experienced help soon!

Bulbs are just over 4 months old. I will clean the plexi-glass cover and SG is 1.025.

wish i could help have no clue the color looks great i have never seen this your temp ok? maybe a small water change? keep us posted sorry i could not help :?

temp is steady at 80 and I feed froozen mysis or krill every three days. I do not target feed the anenome, it just gets what is floating around the water.

Hey Lando is there anything in the tank that could be picking with it?

Have you added any more flow, or changed the flow recently?

I have not noticed anything picking at it. I diid change power heads a few weeks ago, but it never seemed to bother it. Maybe I will try target feeding some krill. Running out of ideas here.

I would recommend a few 20-25% water changes a couple days apart and adding some GAC to your sytem. Everything else seems good... Good luck.

Just did my bi-weekly change a couple of days ago and replaced my carbon then.

I would try a couple water changes closer together to get things "back in line". Something is off according to your BTA. When in doubt, pull some water out LOL. Good luck w/ it.

I dought it will eat if it looks like that... I target feed my BTA frozen krill. Mine looked like crap when it started to split. I would give it a few days, could it be getting ready to expel waste?
Mine moved on the back glass about 4-5 weeks ago for no reason just backed up and moved. My clowns are pissed because it is in a real tight spot and they both can not get in it now.

spliting is an option I considered. I have no experience with this but I have read they start to look sick and seek out an area with higher flow before the split. Anyone been through this?

I have no experience with anemones, but it sounds like you've really got the tank under control. You could easily cause more stress by making a bunch of changes when the anemone might just be doing what it feels like doing.

Sometimes that tank has NOT actually changed and you just need to sit and wait.

If that enemone has been happy for a long time...don't do anything too rash.

lando said:
I diid change power heads a few weeks ago, but it never seemed to bother it.
That would actually be enough to make the anemone move about. Their reaction to changes are not always immediate. BTA's like most anemones like gentle flow over the top of their tentacles. Anything of an aggressive nature will cause some stress. Why the clowns stopped hosting in it could simpley be a coincedence. Try positioning the powerheads as they where before and see what that does. By the way it's closed up, it's irritated by something whether that be flow, a nearby coral or animal in the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s, are water changes of 20-25% a few days apart a rash solution when your not sure about the cause of a quickly developing problem, assuming the correct ageing, etc., procedure is followed when mixing the new SW? This is sort of off topic and general I know..

MT79 said:
are water changes of 20-25% a few days apart a rash solution when your not sure about the cause of a quickly developing problem, assuming the correct ageing, etc.,
As long as it's the same salt you've always used and as you said, properly aged first no. Water changes in many cases can be a good first step. When dealing with unknowns, carbon is also a good idea.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom