My yello tang looks pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear85

Aquarium Advice Regular
My yellow tang looked pale this morning ! I just did a 10% water change last night ... Would that stress him out ? My onyx white clown seems normal ... The tang is still eating and swimming around ! But seems to be hiding in the rocks more then usual

Taking your time is the key in all you do in this hobby. Anytime.

Sadly I think there is a problem here. I read all your threads and got the following info.
You set up the tank on or about 19 Aug and posted on 26 Aug "1 week into my cycle"
You have a 90 gal tank.
You have had huge nitrate issues causing a ton of algae 1 week ago during your cycle.
You asked about stocking and someone suggested a Yellow Tang in a 4 foot tank (although in this case I don't think its the size that is the issue). The Tang police missed this one (probably because we are so (moderator edit)tired of people saying various tangs are fine in many tanks listed as too small).
Now you have the Yellow tang (Tangs are NOT very hardy), and no surprise, it's not doing well. A week ago you were in the middle of a cycle issue, now you have an expensive fish dying.

"Taking your time is the key in all you do in this hobby. Anytime"
or as someone else has in their signature
"nothing Good happens fast in a saltwater aquarium".

Last edited by a moderator:
My posts look like I am rushing but I am trying not to ... I believe my algae issue was caused from my ro water which I have fixed ... I took a sample of my water Into my local store and they ran all the tests on it and told me I was ready ... As I am new at this I looked to my local experts to tell me when I was ready ! My tangs colour is back and he is back to normal ! From what I have read is they do that when they are stressed which might if been from my water change... Also don't they do that at night so they are less noticeable to predictors? I looked at them at 4 am before I went to work ... I have never looked at the tank that early before

My tang use to look pale in the morning all the time and then once the lights were on, his color came back.

That's exactly what happened ! Can someone tell me why I read lots about why a 90 gal tank is not big enough for a tang ? If its truly to small I don't want to harm the fish I will find it a new home :( but I need to understand why?

My tang use to look pale in the morning all the time and then once the lights were on, his color came back.

Same situation here. Always in the morning and soon after he was ok. Happened that way for 15 years.

Tangs are cruisers. they constantly cruise the reefs. Most other smaller fish tend to stick around their 'home'. But if you've ever dove on a reef with tangs, you'll have seen them constantly cruising. Putting them in too small a tank, specifically lengthwise, limits their ability to roam. Like having a greyhound as a housepet in a small appartment. The environment may be ok for a small mopdog/lapdog, but its cruel for a greyhound.

I have a 110 gal, 4 ft tank. Larger in volume than the 5 ft 100 gal tank, but less suitable for a tang. That's why when you look at minimum tank size for tangs, look at it from a length perspective, to actual volume. I would not put a Yellow tang in my 110 because the 100 gal Liveaquaria reccomends is that 5 ft tank.

BTW, younger tangs cruise just as much as the older larger fish, so please don't say I'll move him when he gets bigger. I dove in Hawaii and there were NASO tangs. The large ones were cruising along the reef, while the smaller ones were darting along with them.

Of course you get to make your own decision, but if you try to keep a greyhound in a small city appartment, don't be surprised if we get a bit pissy when we hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom