Mystery of the Shrinking Zoanthids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MauiGuy43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've tried Zoanthids 2-3 times in my home aquairum, but each time the polyps get smaller and smaller over a period of several weeks until I"m left with nothing more than a bumpy rock. A slow march downhill. No sign of animals munching on them. I've tried more light. Then moving to less light. Someone said, too much phosphate, so I put in some "Phospha-Guard" phosphate removing granules.

I fed them: I squirted in Liquid Gold Invert food each week, but didn't consciously feed solid food in such a concerted way as to ensure the Zoanthid's got more than a random share during each feed. I feed Misis shrimp & Emerald Entree cubes [frozen] every other day.

Light: I have 2 CF 65w Actinic bulbs on for 10-12 hours per day.

I have a 55 gal tank, I do ocean water changes (benefits of living 1/4 mile from the beach), and the rest of the tank is pretty healthy. I do have Bristle/Fire worms. ( I think I have both!). I try and pull the worms out with tweezers, but they keep coming back. I do water changes with rubber gloves, but still get painful sensations in my fingers for a few days afterwards if the gloves get pierced. I don't however have long term luck with feather duster worms either. I've had as many as 5 in my tank, and over time, they all "mysteriously" disappear. [No, no crabs]. All that said, the other fish seem quite happy.

OK, you will probably all hang me with this one..... I haven't tested my water in over a year. Everything ELSE is working just fine. Only one fish death in over 1 year, and that was due to old age, I'm guessing. All the others are over 2 years old.

My Aquarium Stock List :fish2:

Banded cleaner shrimp
Clown fish
Lemon Peel Angel
Fiji Damsel
Common sea urchin
Star Fish
Cowery

I have a 55 gal tank that's 4-5 years old, plenum with chiller, sump with bio balls, UV3 light, I use about 1lb. carbon granules in a paint bag for clear water, i do water changes when I see algae growth speed up. [about every 8 weeks].

Anyone have any tips to help me prep for housing Zoanthid's [and maybe someday again feather dusters] again? I'm ready to go "hunting" for some, but don't have the heart to see 'em shrink slowly away.

:thanks: and Aloha,

MG43

Why have you not tested your water? Just because the water is ok for fish doesn't mean it's ok for corals. Most corals are far pickier than most fish are. Get a test kit before you try any more zooanthids.

I dont think the problem is the test, I thinks its that you do pwcs ever 8 WEEKS!!!!! I do 35-40 GALLONS a WEEK!!!!! And your ocean water could be bad. If you dont go offshore you could have polluted water.

Back
Top Bottom