naocube ok for a QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I just bought one of those 12 gallon Nanocubes. I'm just wondering if this is lage enough to use as a quarantine tank? Another question...what is the minimum time recomended for quarantining a new fish?

thanks in advance!! [/code]

Two to four weeks depending on who you ask but two at the minimum. 12 gallons is fine for qt of new fish. Pretty much any safe container with a pump and heater will do. BUT if you were to have an outbreak in your main display and have to qt your entire stock it would depend on how many fish you have. Not corals or inverts, just fish. If you have a lot you might have a problem keeping them all for several weeks in a 12. But let's pray that doesn't happen. 8O :? :wink:

I agree a 12 would be fine. Just do it one fish at a time and only a pretty small fish. I would lean towards the 4 weeks myself, may ailments will not show themselves until 2-3 weeks.

That is a good point about an outbreak. Unfortunately, I had an outbreak a few months ago because I wasn't using a qt. I guess I was lucky for several months, and thought I didn't need one.
What I thought was going to be the perfect final addition ended up being sick. I returned him, but lost almost everyone anyway. Only the little chromis made it.
Right now I have the 3 chromis and a pair of maroon clowns in my 90gal. I will most likely get a Niger then a Yellow Tang. Would you recomend getting something larger than the 12gal., or should I have a couple of small tanks in case I ever had to qt everyone?

thanks

Not sure anyone has a QT tank large enuf for their entire stock, and you've got a 90g tank, with maybe 15 - 20 inches of fish someday. Tuff call having to think about the entire stock, and the possibility of'm all having to go to the hospital at once. :(

I've got a 75g and a 20g QT :soap: . I'd have a ruff time fitting the entire fish population from the main in QT too. I'd sure like to see what everyone else says about that question, but I'd get at least a 20g QT setup and hope for the best. Maybe some would say that in such an emergency - having to QT all, you might thave to go buy another tank real quick. seed it with the first QT tank's water and set up hospital.

Dunno, I'd be curious to hear other's opinions.

Well I had to get a 40 gallon and still used 2-10 gallons to get all my fish out. Was a lot of water changing.huff huff. :mrgreen:
For bringing is a new (small) fish a 12 would be fine. But if needed to treat your Chromis and you Clowns depending on their size, I would say a 20 gallon would be needed (at least). Using the main system's water would be OK, since you would be treating anyway .

It would not be unheard of to run out to Wally world and pick up a couple of 20 or 30 gallon tubs and hook them up to filtration and heat to qt them. I have a 20 gallon that I use for water changes and it could hold probably half of my fish comfortably for weeks. You would just need to add filtration and heat. We are about to set up a sump and fuge with two ten gallon tubs and will plumb them together. You could probably do this with multiple tubs for a qt also so you would only need one filter and heater for however many tubs you might need.

Back
Top Bottom