Nashville SW setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All my guns are in my name anyways...so they already know I have them.

Common misconception, even though you registered when you bough them, that form stay's at the firearm dealers, the fed's don't get it unless they are trying to trace that gun because of a crime or something. I used to work for a FFl dealer and we kept those forms in the back room in a file safe. The only time they are turned into the fed's in bulk is when you loose your FFL or close up shop and turn the FFl in. Still all mine were in the same boat as yours when it sank. :mrgreen: Which lake was that anyway :wink: ?

True. I have heard people say your paperwork doesn't go past the shop.

I am still not worried about posting pics online. I always blur out my serial numbers if you can see them in the picture.

I can't remember what lake it was but I remember its being really big and really deep.

I can't remember what lake it was but I remember its being really big and really deep.

Good, then maybe kids can't get them and accidentally kill tmeselves or their friends.

Good grief.

Good, then maybe kids can't get them and accidentally kill tmeselves or their friends.

Good grief.

We are joking, I would never let my firearms get into a childs hands. By saying what we did, it's just for big brothers benefit. If they come looking mine I lost them in a boating accident as well. :wink:

Ill check about dickson, so if i go with the 75gallon route,will i need 2 filters and more powerheads? Compared to if i stick with the 55gallon route.

I know that with my ideas of 100or 125gal..then i will have to double up on equipment and what not to maintain.

Can i get the same results if i buy "INSTANT Ocean" mix V. the pre-mixed salt water from the lfs? I know instant ocean is more inexpensive, thats about it.

Anyone reccomend a onlinesite, for basic stands for 75gal tank?
thanks AA. keep me in the know.

Will that shark be ok in such a small tank? They're big into swimming space aren't they? I don't know that species but as I recall they want BIIIIIiiiiiIIIIIIG tanks...

@phyl. thanks for commenting. but at this rate and $$ for college. i am going to hold off on the shark, ive heard 125 gal. to 175 gal. would suffice.

but no, at this point, im going with clownfish, ls, some things on bottom, maybe some lr if i figure out a superior lighting source for 75gal tank. Still reading SW books and trying to keep it simple until i get the tank. I like tangs, but heard more than 1 is too much, due to their aggressiveness.

I really liked hearing on AA, that some folks have handfed their fish (IE, clownfish are easily handfed, ive heard.) any truth? . any pictures or advice perhaps?

Some tangs will be ok together in a larger tank. Of course I would say min for the smallest growing tang would be 70g or more. Alot will need 120g or more. You can get different tangs that do not look similar, and if introduced at the right time, and in the right order will do fine. Again a bigger tank is a must for multiple tangs... :wink:

I have been reading, saving money, and visiting fish locations for months now..I have approx. $1000 to spend on everything from tank to fish to etc. I need input and advice. I know i want at least 75 gallons and no more than 125 gallons. Will i be better off buying a tank and kit combo that includes filter, lights, heater...or buy separate? I want a SW fish only tank... Can someone reccomend me name brands of the filter, lights, to buy? A 100gal tank alone in nashville is about $375 @ aquattic critter. Do i really need a canister filter for a 100gallon tank? I do want live sand n clown fish in the tank. Please help me out

I have spent more than $1500 on a 30 gallon tank, counting everything, including test kits, salt, livestock, lights, etc. This hobby ain't cheap.

I think ths is about what I have:

Tank - 75 gal drilled/internal overflow - $300 New
LR 125 lbs - $430
Sand - $100-130
Lights 2x250 MH/T5 - $250 used
Stand - $60-100 DIY
Canopy - $50-75 DIY
powerheads - $100 new
Heaters(2) - $40 new
fans/timers - $50 new
Skimmer - $100 used

My setup is a bit more than this but this is the basics. I used a 20 gal tank I got for free as a sump and the Mag7 for my return was free. There are misc. costs but that is the bulk of it.

Livestock is dependent on what you want. I have bought all frags pretty much so nothing real expensive. I did buy a $65 acro recently but that is the most I have spent on one coral.

HTH

I would recommend getting a tank with an overflow chamber built in and pre-drilled. You can setup a DIY sump real cheap. Then you can put a bunch of LR rubble (cheap but good filtration) in there. A sump also allows you to hide your heater, thermometer, and other stuff.

UPDATE**

Well i am going with 55gallon tank by TOPFIN with oak stand. Using 1 bag of Instant saltwater(the bag with the "nemo, clownfish" on front for $19. Will 1 bag be eough for 55gal tank? I might just by the other 5 or 10 gal from LFS premixed water. Anyone aganist me mixing the 2?

I am buying 2 hydor theo heaters, 150 watt. IS that too much for 55gal tank? should i just get 2 50watts?

The question for the AA informants...someone told me to get a emperor filter HOS, 400gph its $70 here. but next to that, the store had,

Canister, Rena Filstar , xP2 300gph, $130.

1 Do i need both canister and hang on side? DOnt want to spend more than $150 for filter setup.
2 Since im starting live fish only (1) tang and 3 or 4 clowns (all store bred and from same tank) , some creatures on bottom floor, which one(filter) you reccommend or any new additions i should research buying.??
3 Do i need a skimmer for this set up?

I DO NOT plan on adding major live rock, maybe 5 to10 pounds in all for 2005. I know lighting and the skimmer is important for this.

Excited to come home from work/school and be on AA reading. Any comments or can answer my questions, im all ears!

soon to have 55gal ,sw fish only with 5 or 10lbs of LR by dec 2005. just want basis till i get my money right. college student :(

The lighting/skimmer are not needed so much for the live rock as they are for corals down the road. The tang will not be happy in a tank with no rockwork. They really need significant rock work to feel at ease. My tangs love swimming through caves in and around the rock. A bare tank would be torture, IMO. With a 55 you're limited in the tang selection... hopefully you're looking to a YT?

I would get more rock, less filtration and only 2 clowns. 3 or 4 will not be as happy as 2 would be. Get them both small so that you have a better chance of them both being juvi when you put them in the tank.

Look for your local reefers club. You can likely find someone there looking to dump some LR. There's always somebody on the NJRC looking to get rid of rock, usually for between 3 & 4# a pound. Also to increase the likelihood that you won't be buying 3 and 4 of each of your fish try to cycle fishless!

Add the YT last because they are usually very dominant and may not like sharing their tank with others if added first. Add the 2 clowns first and then your next fish (assuming that you'll want something else like a gramma or a barnacle blenny to take the place of the other 2 clowns) and then after that your YT. Not all of them at once. Your tank won't be able to handle that type of demand (no matter what products your LFS sells you :) ).

Instant ocean is fine salt to use but I would just start with water from the LFS rather than making your own. In the long run it will cost you more to make your own (because of the algae battles you'll fight down the road using your tap water). You're also better off using a 'repeatable' process with your saltwater so that when you do water changes you will be using the same salt mix. Fish don't like change. Changing the salt mix on them is just one more variable they don't need.

Sounds like you're doing your research. What a great way to start!

I use the Rena Filstar XP3 with my 55gallon. It works great. I know the XP3 is rated for something like a 150gallon tank, but my lsf was phasing them out, so I got it half-price.

New SW thoughts.
This is going to be in my bed room
1. Which filter, the Canister, Rena Filstar , xP2 300gph or emperor filter HOS, 400gph produces less noise (tho im a heavy sleeper), anyone familar with these products?

2. Should i still buy the 150watt heaters, or just opt for the 50watts, (for a 55gal SW fish only tank)?

3. This maybe beyond newbie, but do the majority of LFS offer to come out to your house and setup the tanks, (of course ill ask my local store in time ) or is that a personal thing you/spend so much @ our store deal? LFS here seem uneducated in customer service, but once you approach them they *seem* to know all the SW answers. Anyone get help from their lfs? just curious.

Thanks again AA. back to the boards now! :)

nashville

A lot of LFS's will give you great advice. But some will give you BAD advice and sell you things that should not be in your tank. Just gotta figure out if they are the real deal or not.

I had to setup my tank for myself. In spite of the fact that they seem to sell a number of these setups it seemed like I was asking them questions about things that they'd never heard of before. They did their best to help me from a distance but they certainly didn't offer to come here and help set it up.

Can't help on Q1 & 2. Sorry! I'd go for 2 heaters no matter what you do because you'll want the backup system.

phyl thanks, that tank picture 02-05 you have looks great. how much sand do you have? did u start will all live sand or mix with another sub. ? I dont want to spend all my money on LFS live sand and premixed water. im only getting 55gal for now till i get bigger bedroom.

what do you reccommend with clownfish and yt?
thanks

nashville tn

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I started with 4 bags of sand. 2 aragalive and 2 aragonite. Knowing then what I know now? I'd have used 4 bags of playsand from Home Depot and Live Rock. I think all the critters (spaghetti worms, etc) that I have in my sand right now came from my LR and not some silly bag of dead live sand from the LFS. Waste of money there. I ended up putting my sand all up front and there's little to nothing actually under or behind my rock.

I'll make an effort not to sound like a broken record... but get as much LR from LiveRocks.com as you can afford. Take the money you would have spent on the live sand and other sand from LFS and the money you would have wasted on LR at your LFS and turn that into 35# of rock from liverocks or hirocks.com and 15# of keys rock from LR.com. Make all the other sacrifices necessary to be able to do this. I promise you won't be sorry! Your YT will thank you for years to come!

phyl. thanks for the insight and detail, and speedy response!
so my thing with live rock..is i dont want to shell out big money on lighting and skimmer and sump since i am under 21 and paying for my own college way. SO IF i buy 35# from liverocks.com (which i have Read over 100 positive messages on AA) will i have to buy expensive lighting, or is that for corals? Should i wait till i have my tank cycled till i add the live rock, im still making my "shopping lists".

#2. I have read the post on playsand debate. but with so many options here in nashville of play sand. am i safe to use any sand that doesnt contain silica? what keywords or specifics should i look out for when i go to HD or lowes tomm?

I have listed some of the things i was going to go with in this post on page 2 or 3...check it out, give me some feedback. SO if i go with LR do i need to go with a canister or HOB filter? look in this post and i named 2 that are in my price range...you got anything to comment on them? or give a new reccomendation. DO u know which one is more quiet, since it will be in my room?

hope this isnt to much to ask of one person, anyone else can add as well. please im willing to read all.

thanks again TN (615)

Back
Top Bottom