Naso Tang fin bubble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpfaff77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a Naso about 2 weeks ago. I don't have a quarantine tank but I fish was at LFS for 2 weeks on hold. He is healthy and eating but has this strange bubble on his dorsal fin. About 1/8th diameter right in center of his body. Hard to see in pic. I noticed it tonight so only been there for day or 2 tops. Any ideas on what it could be. I googled and search on this site and found nothing.

image-2156139288.jpg

I'll try to get better pic Tom.in this pic just looks like tiny hump. I got actinics on now but I'll try to snap better pic.

Fin bubble...

Fish, like humans, can develope what we call skin tags which might just be what this is. HOWEVER, there are other possibilities:
Some parasites can form cysts and it could be that.
Could just be a benign cyst.

Possible remedies:
Since this on the top of the fish, you could cut the infected area out, place the fish into a medicated quarantine tank with an antibiotic to prevent any infection until the wound heals over,
You could just quarantine the fish and see if anything comes out of the cyst,
You could take a needle and try to drain the cyst (if it is in fact full of liquid)

Pros and cons of doing nothing:
Pro: if the fish is eating and acting normal, Ignorance is bliss :whistle:
Con: If this is in fact a parasite cacoon, when it opens, you will have released a parasite into your main tank which could in fact harm your other fish down the line.

Your choice...

This is just another example of the importance of a quarantine tank.

Thanx for the reply. I am ordering a fish trap tom. No way I'm getting him out without it. Too fast. The only extra tank I have is a 10 gallon. I hate to put 4" naso in a small tank. But only for temporary. Now if I were to use syringe if I needed too. What is best way to handle a fish? I have actually never held a fish from tank. Would it be no different than I guess catching a fish with my pole. Just seems so far from that tho when he is in my aquarium.

If you can...

Thanx for the reply. I am ordering a fish trap tom. No way I'm getting him out without it. Too fast. The only extra tank I have is a 10 gallon. I hate to put 4" naso in a small tank. But only for temporary. Now if I were to use syringe if I needed too. What is best way to handle a fish? I have actually never held a fish from tank. Would it be no different than I guess catching a fish with my pole. Just seems so far from that tho when he is in my aquarium.

Once you catch the fish, try to get a close(er) up pic of the area. It might be easier for us to diagnose. Yes, a 10 gal is a bit small for the fish but for short term, it can do. With experience, you'd be able to tell what the situation is but without seeing it up close, it's really just a guess. Maybe see if your LFS has a "House Call" program (if they are experienced in diagnosing diseases.)
There is an anasthetic called FINQUEL available to the pet trade. Ask your LFS or Vet if they can get it. (It's also used in shipping fish.) Follow the directions to calm the fish so it will be easier to handle the fish with less stress to the fish. Once your done handling the fish remember that you have damaged the fish's slime coat so you want to keep him in a clean environment and or add a product (like Novaqua, etc) that helps replace the slime coat. If this is a parasite cyst, you want to make sure you use a
syringe that's big enough to extract the little bugger. If it is just a benign cyst, you just need a syringe capable of extracting the fluid.

I hope all this doesn't confuse you. It's really not as difficult as it sounds. Just like a Dr. you just need to do the right thing for THIS particular situation.

Keep us posted...(y)

Best way would be it cut that part out. Then use quick cure which will help it heal faster. An X acto knife will give you a clean cut. But only do this if it's a small area on the fin and not connected to his body otherwise it could be lethal.

I think you mean...

Best way would be it cut that part out. Then use quick cure which will help it heal faster. An X acto knife will give you a clean cut. But only do this if it's a small area on the fin and not connected to his body otherwise it could be lethal.

I think the product name is misleading. Quick cure is more for parasitical infestations. Yes, the Formalyn might help the initial wound but disipates in water rather quickly. For long term, antibiotics would be better to prevent any infection from the wound site. Mercuricrome or Methyolate might also be a better choice than the quick cure. Just hold the fish upside down so it doesn't run into the fish's eyes.

Andy Sager said:
I think the product name is misleading. Quick cure is more for parasitical infestations. Yes, the Formalyn might help the initial wound but disipates in water rather quickly. For long term, antibiotics would be better to prevent any infection from the wound site. Mercuricrome or Methyolate might also be a better choice than the quick cure. Just hold the fish upside down so it doesn't run into the fish's eyes.

Quick cure also helps regenerate skin. I used it when I had piranha and they took chunks out of each other at times.

All this making me quite nervous. Where would I get this medication? LFS has all this? It is only on the top of his fin. I would think be fairly painless on his fin to cut out. I won't be receiving the trap till early next week so I will observe. I don't know if I want to go thru stressing fish by catching him and medicating him and putting him in a 10 gallon when it can still be nothing. At what point do I go forward with quarantine?? 1 week if no improvement or gets worse??

I do appreciate all the input. This is new experience after 6 years in the hobby. I had to hospital a pair of clowns with brooklynella years ago and I lost them both.

Not to quibble ;) ....

Quick cure also helps regenerate skin. I used it when I had piranha and they took chunks out of each other at times.

.. but Quickcure's ingredients are Formalyn and Malachite green, neither of which is a skin regenerating med.
I believe you had the success you did with the Piranahs because that fish is used to being damaged in frenzies so it's biologically adapted to quick regeneration of it's flesh and skin. I doubt you would have had the same success with other, less hardy fish.
As I said, the name Quickcure is a bit misleading. It does kill parasites quickly but not bacterial situations.
There used to be a product called MarvelMed. It was made locally to me when I was down in Miami, FL. The reason it was called MarvelMed was because it was a marvel that it worked. Nobody (including the manufacterer) knew why it worked, it just did! Product names can really make you wonder. :facepalm:

Yeah, I was afraid of this...

All this making me quite nervous. Where would I get this medication? LFS has all this? It is only on the top of his fin. I would think be fairly painless on his fin to cut out. I won't be receiving the trap till early next week so I will observe. I don't know if I want to go thru stressing fish by catching him and medicating him and putting him in a 10 gallon when it can still be nothing. At what point do I go forward with quarantine?? 1 week if no improvement or gets worse??

I do appreciate all the input. This is new experience after 6 years in the hobby. I had to hospital a pair of clowns with brooklynella years ago and I lost them both.

I was afriad I was scaring you.
What you have to realize is that this could be something or it could be nothing. It's the reason why quarantining is so important before putting fish into your main tank.
If this is a parasite and you are running a reef type tank, most good meds for parasites might kill some or all of your inverts. If you are running a fish only tank with a therepuetic dose of Copper, this shouldn't be an issue. If this is a "skin tag" or common cyst, I'd just leave it alone.
It's not possible to acurately diagnose your fish's situation with these pictures which is why I suggested you get someone local who knows what they are looking at and for to help you. I've had plenty of fish that have developed cysts. Some have been problems, some have been nothing. Acurate diagnosis is the key.
That's the best advice anyone can give you.

As for the Brooklynella, more people have lost fish to this disease than you can imagine. You just joined the club:(

I mean... Ive seen that it made a difference in the regeneration of their fins and I've used it on goldfish I tried to feed which they left alone but still picked at their fins. Cutting the infected area off would be your best bet. You don't even need to qt him next. It's as if a fish nipped on him.

Just update. I havnt taken fish out yet. All seems normal. Bubble hasn't got bigger or smaller. Eats seaweed and frozen everyday. I hope it is nothing. He opens dorsal fin like it doesn't bother him. So for now he is staying in display tank.

Sounds good

Just update. I havnt taken fish out yet. All seems normal. Bubble hasn't got bigger or smaller. Eats seaweed and frozen everyday. I hope it is nothing. He opens dorsal fin like it doesn't bother him. So for now he is staying in display tank.

Hopefully it's just a "skin tag" situation and nothing will come of it.

Keep us posted (y)

Update: good news and bad news.

Good news.
All of the bubbles on his fin are gone and I did nothing. They just naturally subsided. He had been eating and doing great for months.

Bad news
Now he has this Wierd dark stripe on one side. He again seems completely in bothered by this. Just strange.

Attachments

• image-3055284526.jpg
    image-3055284526.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 115
Good news /bad news answer :)

Update: good news and bad news.

Good news.
All of the bubbles on his fin are gone and I did nothing. They just naturally subsided. He had been eating and doing great for months.

Bad news
Now he has this Wierd dark stripe on one side. He again seems completely in bothered by this. Just strange.

The good news answer:
Well, as I said "It could be something or it could be nothing." Thankfully, it sounds like the "nothing" wins. Congrats and you can wipe your brow :D

The bad news answer:
It looks like he might have been stung by one of your corals or anemones. Once again, I'd just watch it to see if it gets worse. ;) Fish can have this happen to them in the wild and it's just time and clean water that heals them. Let's hope this too is nothing to be concerned about (y)

Havnt thought of that and although no anemone I do have frogspawn and bubble coral which could possibly sting him.

Back
Top Bottom