Need a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mharrison86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I purchased a midas blenny from my LFS. I brought him home and drip acclimated him for 2+ hours and then put him in my QT. From the time that I put him into the QT, he has only laid and crawled around the bottom of the tank. He has been in my QT for 24 hours. I have yet to see him swim around. I'm starting to wonder if he was injured some how when they were trying to capture him out of a reef tank at the LFS. It took them a while to catch it and he was flapping around in the net when they caught him.

Is this normal behaviour or is this fish injured? What should I do? :?

QT Parameters: PH 8.2, Nitrite and Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0. The QT has cycled. I just moved 3 blue green chromis to my display tank 2 days ago. They were in there for 3 weeks.

TIA,

Mike

Was tyhe QT cleaned out before adding the blenny?
Do you have plenty of small places for the fish to hide? Midas in particular likes to hide in small holes/cracks/crevaces. If they are not available, it could very well be stressed. Also be sure the overhead light is not turned on. It will also help reduce stress.

Although the water parameters might seem fine, a good sized water change (well aged/aerated) couldn't hurt.

Cheers
Steve

I did a 10% water change the day before I put him in. Should I do another PWC? Also, there are 2 pieces of PVC pipes for him to hide in but he only lays on the tank floor up against the wall. Should I attempt to feed him?

mharrison86 said:
I did a 10% water change the day before I put him in. Should I do another PWC?
Yes, it won't hurt and you never know what it might help. I would do a much larger change though as long as the new water has been mixing for at least 24 hrs. If not, wait until tomorrow. Change about 25-30%.

Was any medication used with the Chromis?

Is there carbon or other source of chemical filtration in there? If not, add some.

Also, there are 2 pieces of PVC pipes for him to hide in but he only lays on the tank floor up against the wall.
Add some other items so the fish has options and plenty of places to seek refuge. Make sure they are a small diameter. Large PVC pieces are not going to help at all. Is the light off? How bright is the room?

Should I attempt to feed him?
If the fish seems in "poor spirits" it will most likely not eat, might try tomorrow. Be sure to soak the food in a marine liquid vitamin containing B12. It will help with the feeding response.

What is the salinity in the QT?

Cheers
Steve

Yes, it won't hurt and you never know what it might help. I would do a much larger change though as long as the new water has been mixing for at least 24 hrs. If not, wait until tomorrow. Change about 25-30%.
OK, I'll make some water up today and do a large change tomorrow.

Was any medication used with the Chromis?
I didn't use any medication with the chromis. Medication has never been used in that tank.

Is there carbon or other source of chemical filtration in there? If not, add some.
I have a dual bio-wheel filter with 2 new filter cartridges.

If the fish seems in "poor spirits" it will most likely not eat, might try tomorrow. Be sure to soak the food in a marine liquid vitamin containing B12. It will help with the feeding response
I have some food soaking in Zoe and Garlic now. I'll try to feed him tomorrow.

What is the salinity in the QT?
the SG is 1.022

Thanks,

Mike

The biowheel is good but do the cartriges contain carbon?

Lower the salinity some on the water change tomorrow down to about 1.020 and again on the second day to 1.018. Just dilute the new water with RO. The lower SG will help with stress. Be sure you check the new SW pH and alk. It may have lowered and will need buffering. Do that about 6 hrs before the water change.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom