Need Help, Anemone and Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys
We got a bubble tip anemone a couple of days ago and all was going well until 5am this morning when I found him in my Koralia 3 powerhead, needless to say it wasn't pretty. My 1st question is what are the ramifications to the tank? 2nd How do I prevent this from happening again, is there something I can wrap the power head in?

I think they make a blue sponge that fits over the intake. If not you can but some blue filter material to go over it.

Thanks Mike, I have blue filter material at hand and will put it on. Do you think there are any toxins in the tank from him getting chopped up? I performed a full test of the water and found everything to be normal.

The reading are:
PH = 8.3
KH = 9
SG = 1.025
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
silicate = 0
phosphate = 0
Calcium = 400

The other inverts in the tank are all alive and OK however I'm starting to bring my fish out of Hypo and don't want them to be harmed when it's time for them to go back into the DT.

maybe, maybe not...i personally do not have an anemone but a buddy of mine does and he lost one to a powerhead, the problem he had was that the anemone, like alot of coral is basically poisonous to put it extremely bluntly,9i know poor choice of words but I couldnt think of another way to put it) alot of his corals would not open for a couple weeks because of the toxins released in the water from the anemone itself, basically like chemical war which you cant test for(I dont think..lol) i helped him out and we did some major water changes for a while and everything worked out fine but if your tank is acting like it was before the anemone went in, I wouldnt worry about it and your fish should be fine

Thanks Juice, Everything is still mobile and looks healthy. I'm due for a water change this weekend, I'll do 30% instead of the 15%. My usual PWC is 15% twice a month.

I would do a PWC to be sure. Maybe do it a little early.
I did a 30% PWC, replace all the pads, rinsed out all of the media in freshly prepared salt water and put chemi-pure elite in the filter. It's as good a time as any, I'm making the transition from IO to reef crystals.

Back
Top Bottom