Need Help with Pygmy Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just finished QT my fish and treating for ICK. During this process I noticed a small white spot appear on my pygmy angel's tail. The spot has now gone through to the other side creating the start of a small hole and a second one has started right next to it.

I treated the ICK with Organi Cure and it seems to have cleared up. My initial thought is that this is a fungus or secondary bacterial infection. I now have the pygmy in a 10 gal and have been treating with Mardel Maroxy and Melofix since Saturday. I have not noticed any real improvement other than the spots have turned to more of a brownish color than white. After carefully reading the Mardel disease chart I am wondering is I should also use Maracyn-Two(If can it be used simultaneously?).

So far the angel's behavior is fine. It comes out and feeds with no problem. I am just hoping to head off any larger problems. I have had this fish about 4 months. I tried to include a couple of pics, but the file size is to big.

Any thougths or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose this fish.

Thanks,

Of the three items you have mentioned, the Maracyn II (which is for gram negative bacteria) will have the best effect if a severe fungal problem/secondary infection. Make sure you also keep up with regular water changes and vitamin fortified feedings.

When adding the anti-biotic, premix it in a glass of the QT water and use a few teaspoons to soak the foods in seperately. The med contains added vitamins and every bit will help.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, I will pick some Maracyn II up on my way home today. Am I ok to use this simultaneously with the maraxy and melofix?

Personally I wouldn't use the Melafix (it rarely works even on mild cases) but it will not adversely react with the Maracyn II. Melafix is 1% melaleuca, basically tea tree oil. The Maroxy won't help with your issue so it's not needed.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks much. I will keep you posted. As of last night the fish seemed real healthy with the exception of the small hole. hopefully I will be able to report a success story in a couple of weeks.

I am three days into the myracyn two treatment and the hole has expanded into a notch in the tail. It is still eating and swimming well. I included a pic if anyone has any thoughts

Looks like you are treating in the main tank and not a QT as suggested. This will seriously hamper your efforts as the substrate and other materials will absorb the meds. What dosage are you using, tank size and are there any resin/carbon products running in the filters?

Are you also soaking the foods in some of the premixed med?

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

This pic an extreme close up in my 10 gal QT tank. There is no substrate only a bare glass bottom which allows me to see any detris which hits the bottom. The rock you see in the background is only a few pieces of coral rock to provide some cover instead of PVC.

I have followed the dosage on the box: 1 full tablet the first day and then half a tablet each day after for a total of 5 days(3 tablets total). I dissolve the tablets in a separate cup of water and then pour it into the tank. I just did the 4th dosage this morning and will do the final one tomorrow.

I am not using any carbon or resin. For filtration I took my Skilter 250 which is packed with bio balls off my main tank. I disabled the protein skimmer for treatment.

I have not done any water changes yet as it is not suggested on the dosage instructions. I have added small amounts of water which I take form my main tank to dissolve the medication.

I am feeding mysis shrimp and frozen life line which I first soak in the medicated water as suggested. It readily eats when feed. As you can see from the pic the fish does not constantly hide, but comes out when I approach the tank.

I am just wondering if I should be seeing results already? If the actual decay stops should the fin regenerate, and how long should it take?

Thanks,

I recommend using Maracyn-Two at double strength (like on the first day) EACH and EVERY day for 7 days in saltwater. Unfortunately, you have already exposed the fish to a less than effective dosage (don't follow the directions on the box) so changing the dose now may not be effective. I would remove the M2 with carbon and use Nitrofurazone. Aquatronics packages it as Furacyn. The correct dose is 30mg/gal and you add medication ONLY on the first day. Leave the fish in the medicated water 3 to 5 days depending on how it responds.
Terry B

Terry,

The M2 I am using is the saltwater variation not the Freshwater. Do you still recommend the increased dosage?

Doubling the dosage is usually recommended for saltwater treatments. My appologies for not mentioning that... :oops:

Since you have the med, I still think you can use it if you remove the dosage you have in there now. Run with carbon for a day, do a good water change and then start again as recommended above. Furacyn will also work (Terry not being a fan or Maracyn) but I leave that choice to you.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Just to clarify, I should double the recommended dosage even if it is the maracyn two for saltwater?

Also, earlier you were concerned I was not using a QT. Do you think I need to remove the few pieces of coral rock I have for cover?

Thanks,

afilter said:
Just to clarify, I should double the recommended dosage even if it is the maracyn two for saltwater?
Yes

Also, earlier you were concerned I was not using a QT. Do you think I need to remove the few pieces of coral rock I have for cover?
If it is a natural substance then remove it. If an artificial product it will not be that porous it might be fine but in all honestly, plastics are the best to use as they will not absorb as readily and skew your results.

Cheers
Steve

I will get carbon going tonight. On Sunday I will do a 50% water change with water from the main tank and probably restart the treatment.

Provided the cost of the medication I will probably stick with the M2 for now.

I will also find a substitute for the coral rock, I think PVC is recommended in one of the articles.

Thanks,

afilter said:
I think PVC is recommended in one of the articles.
It is and most do use it. Something easily cleaned, non porous and SW safe. Plastic materials are usually the best as long as they are not decorated with paints and such.

Cheers
Steve

The M2 I am using is the saltwater variation not the Freshwater. Do you still recommend the increased dosage?

Unless I'm mistaken...the FW and SW have the same dosae, it is simply worded different in the instructions.

I like Maracyn-Two as an antibiotic. The dose suggested on the box after the first day is just no strong enough. I just feel that it may be better to switch to nitrofurazone since the bacteria has already been exposed to a sublethal dose of M2 which could make it resistant. I wouldn't use Furacyn (nitrofurazone) as suggested on the box either. I suggest dosing nitrofurazone ONLY on the first day of treatment. I would use Nitrofurazone at 30mg/gal and then leave the fish in the medicated water 3 to 5 days. If the fish makes a quick recovery or seemed to be stressed by the nitrofurazone then I would only leave them in the treated water 3 days.
Terry B

Thanks for all the advice, but unfortunately my pygmy was dead when I came home tonight. :( Not sure what went wrong, I followed the suggested dosage for M2 and started the new treatment yesterday. I did run carbon for a day prior and did a water change prior to starting the second round of meds. This AM all still seemed well except for he notch in the tail.

I guess I will clean up the QT and look for a replacement in a few weeks.

Sorry for the loss of the angel :(

The med or the bacterial infection should not have been the cause. Could have been something amiss with the QT water via NH3, NO2 or ph. There is also the strong possiblility of the angel being cyanide caught.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom