Need help with YT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed my yellow tang has been more skittish lately but didn't think much of it. Now tonight I can see some faint red blotches on his body. It was almost impossible to get a picture of him so this is the best I have. He hides as soon as I come near the tank.
I also saw him scraping against a rock but I havn't added anything new in months (besides some base rock recently), so I don't _think_ it would be ich.
The part circled by his tail is very thin (not what the pic looks like) almost looks like a blood vein and it's visable on both sides.
I will do water tests and post results...
Any help on what I should do?

Edit to add results...
Test results:

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0
PH = 8.1
Temp = 80.7
SG = 1.023

Attachments

• yt_116.jpg
    yt_116.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 26
Do you have a QT you can get him into? I'm guessing it's a diffrent parasite, doesn't sound like ich to me.

I do have a QT running. After I posted last night I watched him and he was clearly stressed. Swimming erratically, darting here and there... I'm almost afraid the process of moving him would be too much.
Although, I just watched him a little bit now and he seams much more calm, I could actually be next to the tank and he wouldn't go hiding.
I bought some selcon today and will start soaking his food.
He is eating fine but the redness is still there. Oh, and he pecks at my Hawaiian feather duster's tube (eating it), is that normal?

He`s pecking at the tube eating some algea off of it. When you see red splothes it`s usually hemmoraging and I believe that it`s either viral or bacterial. Maybe Steve-S the resident fish doctor will come on soon. I`m thinking you`re going to have to QT him and treat with an antibiotic. Lets see what Steve says.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I know the temp is a little high - I'll have to keep an eye on it and possibly get some fans going...

I did some reading on WWM and from there it sounds like maybe the blotches are caused by the stress. For now I think I'll keep him where he is at and make sure I keep the water quality up and feed with the selcon soaked food (and hang nori every day instead of every other).

Let me know if that sounds good or if I'm headed for disaster.

Maybe Steve-S the resident fish doctor will come on soon.

I hope so, he has helped me out in the past....

TIA

What time of day was the pH reading taken and how often are you performing water changes?

The two most likely suspects here are acidosis or Vibrio. As far as the tang pecking at the duster, it's not that uncommon. Is the tang receiving daily grazing veggies?

Cheers
Steve

What time of day was the pH reading taken

~10:00pm

how often are you performing water changes?

20% about once per month. I plan to change to 10% 2x per month.

Is the tang receiving daily grazing veggies?

Until today I had been hanging Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select Green Marine every other day but now I will hang it every day (if that will help). Is there a nutritional difference between that and nori? i.e. which is better?

I'll do some research on those 2 suspects...

Thanks!

So this is what I found:

Acidosis is/can be caused by rapid changes in PH - treatment is ?

Vibrio is a bacteria and should be treated with antibiotics?

Am I even close?

It may be wishful thinking but I do think he looks better today. I don't see as much redness.

I'm going to do a PWC tonight. Should I just wait a little longer and see how he does?

TIA

The pH is on the low side for that time of day, I would actually suggest you step up the water changes to 25% every other days for the next week. That will help improve the pH and if acidosis, should clear up quickly. Also look for ways of improving your daytime pH. Aeration being the biggest factor, not chemically unless the alk's low.

If the red streaks get worse or do not diminish after the second water change, you most likely need to treat for Vibrio. Do you have a QT?

Until today I had been hanging Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select Green Marine every other day but now I will hang it every day (if that will help). Is there a nutritional difference between that and nori? i.e. which is better?
Each has a different protein/carb content but they are all rather similar overall. The ones your using are fine and the tang looks otherwise healthy. daily grazing foods are better but yours seems fine with what's being offered.

Cheers
Steve

I think we posted at the same time steve. I added to my previous post. Not a big deal, I think you answered my questions.

daily grazing foods are better but yours seems fine with what's being offered

That Ocean Nutrition I use is a sheet of seaweed that I hang on a clip. Isn't that "grazing food" (I'd like to offer the best)?

Thanks again!

Grazing foods are any type of leafy green or dark green veggie matter as long as it's not lettuce. The one your using is fine nutritionally, just watch the phosphates.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom