Need some help mysterious death..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two firefish yesterday. They both seemed to do very well yesterday, both swimming together and what not. Woke up this mornign and was was fine and hiding. The other one was swimming as if he was drunk. I noticed behind his gills it was red almost like internal bleeding. I had to go to class so I moved him into his own area in the fuge are. I came home and he is now dead. What cuased this death? Was he sick even when I got him? The other is swimming happy as ever right now and my clown has been in the tank for about a week and is very happy also.

I did a quick test on NO2 and NO3 right before I left. Im showing 0 nitrite and maybe 2-3ppm of nitrate.

DSCN0763.JPG

Also the bleeding only seem to be on one side of the fish (other side looks fine).

Did you acclimate him right?

There are so many things that could have happened. He may have been sick when you bought him and it really got bad after you put him in the tank. He looks bruised to me, but that could be any number of things.

NOt sure, i brought the fish to my fish place and he didnt know either. He gave me another one so lets hope this one is healthy.

I have a purple firesfish and I notice his gills are pronounced with a little dark red hue as well. But, they're not nearly as red as in your pic! I'm guessing he was somewhat ill from the beginning and maybe you stressed him too much by all the handling. On the carpet, in his own fuge.....Probably would've been best to just leave him be. I also doubt the clown had anything to do with it unless he's a fullgrown maroon.

Anyways, sorry to hear about loss. Peace_

Are you buying your livestock from the same store each time? You've had alot of bad luck for one reason or another and perhaps it's time to consider, maybe you are just getting unhealthy stock. :(
Sorry for your loss.

I had a problem with a couple of firefish too. I got them from a store I don't frequent but I had a gift certificate for the store so I got them. My normal lfs told me that firefish are often cyanide caught. They last long enough to ship and sell but die within a couple of weeks from the damage. I don’t know if this is true or not, just passing it along as I know it does happen in this hobby...

Fluff said:
Are you buying your livestock from the same store each time? You've had alot of bad luck for one reason or another and perhaps it's time to consider, maybe you are just getting unhealthy stock. :(
Sorry for your loss.

Nope actually this is a new place I just found a few weeks ago and really like them alot. Most my other fish came from a feeders supply. As they were good but im thinking the fish werent to cared. :(

I've been told that it is very difficult to keep more than one firefish in a tank. They are very agressive with one another. Unless you find a mated pair, chances are you will be down to one before too long.

Back
Top Bottom