new coral not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Monday (2 days ago) I bought a green star polyp which was just beautiful in the store. It has yet to start opening. Is this normal or at least OK?

very normal....sometimes it can take up to several weeks, but most of the time within a week depending on the coral. Of course, this is all assuming that you acclimated it properly!

Most assuredly it will take longer than 2 days. I would say give it a few more days. Make sure that it has plenty of light and not beating it to death with current

OK, it's got lots of light and not too much current right now. I acclimated it over 4 hours, adding 1/8 cup of tank water to its bag every ten minutes. Good enough?

Can you give some info on your tank?

How long has the tank been cycled?
How much Light?

Water Parimeters:
Ammonia:
Nitrate:
Nitrite:
PH:
Water Temp:
Salinity:

Is this your first coral?

And yes it is quite normal not to open at once, but your tank specs are needed to make that statement with confidence.

Surely:

Tank is 75 gallons, cycled since mid-April

Lights: Coralife 4 X 65, actinic and 10,000K

Parameters:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: a little over 5
pH: 8.0 (checked just now, lights have been on for 4 hours)
temp: 81
spec. grav.: 1.024

Yes, first coral (excited!) :D . The man at the store said the star polyp would be a good first one, and from posts I've read on this forum, I think he's right. He said to give it medium light and medium flow. How does one judge those?

OK you can relax. Should start coming out shortly....

Let us know!

OH forgot....What filtration do you have and what about fish? LR?

I can't believe this...they're coming out as I write this! :!: :D :!: :D :!:

I have 110 pounds of live rock
2 maxi-jet 1200s
one profile 601 jet
a hang-on-back refugium
4 blue-green chromis, 2 percula clowns, one yellow tang, a cool CBS, 2 serpent stars, and 2 purple urchins. Also assorted small and supposedly nasty crabs.

I am so excited!! The coral lives!! Thanks so much for the encouraging words, all, the vibes must have jolted the coral!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

Let the addiction begin! Coral is a harder drug than the fish itself... :p

If you get time, post your tank info in your profile or signature so next time we want have to go through all the questions.. :D

Yes, I've been thinking I should update the profile.

I can see what you mean with the corals, but I know so little about them that it's a little overwhelming. Just trying to choose one at the store was hard. I was glad he only had certain tanks I could choose from. Even at that there were tons!

A small update: I have about a 3 x 2 inch rock covered in polyps, and maybe a half dozen or so are waving happily in the current. At least a couple hundred to go!

Thats how they do when they start to get acclimated good! Make sure you put the rock where you dont/do want it to spread on. They spread fast!!

Back
Top Bottom