New Coraline turns white after a few days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was soooo happy, in the past week or 2 coraline has finally starting growing places other than my LR. 2 of my powerhead have started with spots all over them, however after a few days/week the coraline turns white? Any idea what this may be from, I figured the tank was doing pretty well if the coraline was starting to spread? ammonia/nitrite are 0, have to run the rest of the test tonight or tomorrow after work but I can't imagine anything is real out or whack?

Test your calcium. You should see coraline growth, provided that it is already in the tank, directly related to your calcium levels. If the levels are good, it should grow. Maybe there isn't adequate calcium to boost and sustain growth. ~425 is a good target to shoot for. 350ppm is too low and around 500ppm, i think, is the maximum amount of calcium the water can hold, after that, it precipitates. Most reefers keep theirs between 375 and 450 ppm. HTH.

Hi jammal-188 your tanks are fish only right? So why do you want to loose that nice solid colored background? My 120 did the same thing now I dose calcium purple grows. I also have a 29 that I dont do anything to but change the water 2 times a month and it grows coralline way faster than my 120 that gets all my attention. Anyway you will have to test for calcium and if this is low test for alkalinity before dosing anything no matter what it says on the label you also have to watch your p.h. the whole time your doing any calcium dosing. Is all this work worth it? I'm still not sure myself but it sounds like alot of fun.

good luck :wink:

Acutally my 110g that I"m referring to in this post is my only reef tank, all the others are fish only :wink: I'll check alk/calcium today after work :D

alk is 3meq/l and calcium was around 385 or so, not sure why this is happening however I just noticed some of my base rock is now growing coraline. I just have no idea why the stuff on the powerheads is turning white?

Back
Top Bottom