new goby missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just put a new yellow watchman goby in my tank 2 days ago. I haven't seen him since he took off into the rocks upon release. He's small, about 1 1/4 inches at most. Could he still just be hiding? I hope so! My other inhabitants are,
in a 75 gallon tank, established since April '05 :

2 true percola clowns
1 yellow tang
4 reef chromis
1 royal gramma
1 CBS
1 blood/fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
4 peppermint shrimp
2 serpent stars
3 urchins
various hitchhiker crabs
green star polyp

BRAND NEW:
purple xenia
tan pulsing xenia

He's probably just hiding.. Give it a few more days..

I have x2 green coral gobies and when i put them in it took over 2 weeks for them to start appearing..

Yes, there are some "unknown" crabs here, but I've never had a disappearance I attributed to the crabs. I guess anything is possible, but so far so good since April.

I added 2 a month ago. They are notorious suicide jumpers. One has already done so, and the second is missing. They are great to look at, but with the jumping I will never buy another.

Speaking of missing fish, i was missing a small lawnmower blenny and found him under a rock in the middle of my reef...DEAD, eaten. Now unfortunately the only way to get to him would be to take my reef apart and the cave he is in is located in a such a way i cant get my arm in there...if i leave the dead body what effect will it have on my tank? TIA

If he was small as you say than your cleanup crew should take care of him and it should not be too significant a change. I would do my checks and do your PWC maybe even ahead of schedule if needed

I would check the floor around the tank. They are notorious jumpers. I lost one to this and there was only a small opening.

Next check the overflow if you have one. I scooped my new watchman from the internal overflow and then a month later scooped the mandarin from the same spot!

He could be hiding too though :)

Good luck

he wasnt hiding, i found his half eaten body...if worst comes to worst, my water may spike but no harmful bacteria would be in my water due to the decaying body? TIA

Back
Top Bottom