new shark nose goby ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanked07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a juv emp angel a cream angel a sail fin tang a green maderian pistol shrimp one cleaner a fire fin two cardinals an two cromis i did the garlic thing to try to make it better just today haven't seen much i was wondering about to heat an salt treatment an if those fish can survive it an how i would do it . anyone???

i just bought the shark nose goby he doesn't look to good he's been in the tank for about 4 hours he's breathing heavy but been swimming around an then stops an just stays in one spot he also has white spots on him thats why i got the garlic treatment any other suggestions?

drop acclimated him an he was already a little beat up when i got him at the store for 5 bucks so i said id take a chance I'm new two this but iv been doing pretty daym good but i came on this site to learn an ask my salinity is at 1.022 my nitrite is at 0 my ammonia is at 0.25 my nitrates keep going up its at 160 an my ph is at 8.0 iv been having a problem with my nitrates it was around 20 40 ppm earlier now its up again I'm about to do a water change any sugg?

Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish. It can kill them. I don't know how your other fish are still surviving. It seems strange that you have some ammonia, but zero nitrite and high nitrates and yet your fish are alive. That's A LOT of nitrates. I've seen fish endure 80 ppm, but it's best to first introduce hardy fish at 30 or 40 ppm. You'll need to do power water changes. That's a huge amount of fish and their bio load can crashthe tank and send it in another cycle which I think it has already. I suggest you research before you add anything to your tank. I'd strong recommend not adding anymore fish and possibly taking some out now rather than later.

power water change ? an what do you mean by bioload an all that? my nittaes were good but there keep going up an down I've had a themall in the tank for about a month an there doing well i just got the emp angel 2 days ago he's doing well but thesharknose goby an still breathing heavy an I'm trying to figure out what i can do I'm about to do a water change now i have a 5 gallon bucket so what do u sugesst i do?

How big is your tank? What kind of filtration? How long has this tank been established? How often are you feeding? How often are you doing partial water changes?

I'm guessing that "power" was supposed to be "partial", but with nitrates that high, you need to do some water changes quick and try to figure out where those levels are coming from (thus all the questions above).

I'm hoping this is not a case of putting too many fish,too quickly, into too small of a tank. Bio load deals with the amount of waste your fish are putting into your tank. If they are putting out more than your beneficial bacteria can handle, your parameters will become bad, causing bad living conditions for your fish.

There are a variety of threads on treating Ich on this site (and others). Garlic helps boost immunity, but does not cure anything.

Back
Top Bottom