New Skimmer Pics + Results Journal (56k warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
After going back and forth between a BakPak 2R or Remora, I decided to try something a little different and go with an Advanced Aquaria HV1 skimmer. These are not as popular as the other two from what I can tell, however they are large capacity, come with a surface skimmer box and bubble box, and are inexpensive. What really settled my desicions was the fact that a CPR or Remora surface skimmer/bubble box is between $30 and $40 for what is basically and acrylix box with some holes in it. It is almost impossible to find good pics and information about the HV1, so I decided to post everything here on AA. $109 got me the skimmer, a Rio 800 (bleh), and the surface skimmer/bubble box.

Everything comes in a very plain white box. Cat not included:
hvbox.jpg

Insde the box, nothing fancy either, you can see the Rio 800 tucked up in the side:
hvopen.jpg

Instructions are a single page, which could be OK, however this is not very detailed at all:
hvinstructions.jpg

Underneath the next layer, we have the skimmer itself. Very simple design, and very well built:
hpopen.jpg

Under that, is the surface skimmer and bubble box. This is much larger than I was expecting:
hvbox2.jpg

Skimmer cup was not protected well, but it made the trip fine. It has a cheesy sticker too. it appears as if the sticker is held on with almost nothing, since it was half peeled off:
hvcap.jpg

The cup lid was supposed to be drilled out with a hole for air release. Mine however was not drilled all the way through. I could have likely popped out the remaining material with a pen, but I went for the tools:
hvdrill.jpg

After checking over everything, I rinsed off everything in hot tap water and let it dry out a bit. I peeled off the sticker too:
hvwet.jpg

Once the piece dry, I am going to hook this up and see how well it works :) I am going to keep posting the status of the skimmer since it could be a good deal for others. Or I could have wasted $109 :D

The box works well, however I think mine may be flawed because it lets a few bubbles go through underneath the baffle that seperates the outlets area and the bubble trap. This could be a safety feature in case the sponge gets clogged:
hvbox3.jpg

My glass top fails to fit now. This is OK because there is a hardware store next to my house that cuts glass and plexiglass. A new piece to the glass top will cost me less than $5:
hvglass.jpg

The skimmer cup tucked away behind the Current USA light:
hvlight.jpg

Here is the collection cup after running for an hour. Not much progress yet, obviously:
hv.jpg

Aside from the Rio, this unit is really nice. There are a ton of small bubbles in the reaction chamber of the simmer. I am going to call the manufacture tomorrow and inquire about the bubble trap. I might end up with a Maxijet pump sooner than I expected unless the Rio quiets down a bit. Hopefully, I will start getting some skimmate in the next day or so.

The rio probably will not quiet down. The noise is due to back pressure. The maxi can overcome the back pressure better which results in a quieter pump. Keep us posted!

Eh? No way to quiet this monster down? The Rio should make a good paper weight then. Or I can use it to mix salt water in a Rubbermaid bin, it should be able to handle that. Maybe.

This morning I had no skimmate, but I did have about 3/8 inch of foam sitting on top of the water column in the lift tube. Last night, the foam was just all mixed in with the water, now it is more seperated from the water. I hope this is a sign of progress...

Just FYI, my CPR pre-skimmer box was only $13, not $30. I think the combo pre-skim/bubble trap is $30, but I have no problems with bubbles on the return.

$13 is not too bad and seems like a good price for a skimmer add on. I was only looking at the combo boxes, hence the $30. How long did it take before you started getting good skimmate?

I had good skimmate the first day I put it on (I upgraded from a Prizm Deluxe...so it had a pre-skimmer too ...useless piece of junk!).

I had to raise my cup today because my skimmate was starting to look too thin. I've only had the pre-filter box for a week...not sure I really have it adjusted perfectly yet.

Skimmer has been going for 5 days now. I have some skimmate in the cup, about 1/4 inch deep of brownish stuff, kind of watery. Last night I had a huge blob of foam at the top of the cup and coming down into the cup. Then I stuck a new rock in the tank and moved a bunch of stuff around and the blob died. I keep blowing my own progress by re-arranging the tank and messing with everything. No opinion yet on how this thing really works. I am leaving town for 4 days this week, when i get home it should be interesting (or a big letdown).

I might try a Remora for kicks. It would definitely look better on the tank :D

My Remora took about a week to really get going. That maybe the same case in your skimmer as well. The collection cup area is pretty noisy but very efficent. I only had raise my cup up once and after that , voila! I am very satisfied with it so far!

Thanks Captive Reefs!

The HV1 is working pretty decently but nothing special so far. I ordered a Remora w/ MJ1200, gonna try that out and post a comparison. I do not have enough space on the back of my tank for the HV1 + fuge + closed loop. This tank is in a baby room as well, and the nasty brown collection cup haning over the top of the tank ruins the mood :)

When I get the Remora, I will run both skimmers. The HV1 will have been running for just over two weeks, so I will be able to tell if the Remora is able to pull more wastes out of the water after the HV1 has tried.

I have the Remora sitting in the box in front of my fish tank. I have been sick for almost the last week and unable to set it up. Now I gotta catch up and get ready for Xmas. Maybe the Remora can be an Xmas present for the tank :p

What a lucky tank, to get such a nice present :p I don't really know anything about skimmers (I know a lot of people here recomend the Remora), but I'd like to see how they compare too. I hope you feel better for Christmas!

I wish I could just order Protein Skimmers and other equipment just like that.

I think what your doing is a very good idea. It's hard to find good reviews on products so this should help a lot.

I just ordered a CPR Bak-Pak and I wish some one had done a review of the product like you are doing on this.

Yes $imple I think more people should do tests like that.
Everybody (but me) just buys two different brands if they need new equipment and then we write revives :wink:
Side note: All I'll be buying will be pampers in the near future :)

I'll take the losers of the comparisons if you guys feel overburdened by them. :D

I think what your doing is a very good idea. It's hard to find good reviews on products so this should help a lot.

The admins should start a unique thread on user reviews of products (hint, hint!)

Back
Top Bottom