New Soft Coral seems sick... (PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myocyte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Second post here, loving all the information!

I am new to the sw thing and I have been trying to read up in the past few days.

Switched 50 Gallon tank to sw, added live substrate and live rock and let the tank cycle for 4 days.

Yesterday I got a couple of starter corals from the lfs. Again, I don't know too much yet, but I think they are button polyps, bubble coral, and I cant remember the name of the other.

The buttons and bubble looked great yesterday after they were added to the tank and opened up. Today the buttons look partially closed and have a white growth on them.
photo 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The other soft coral, that I forget the name of seems like some of it died on the short trip home. It still has yet to open as fully as I saw it in the store and some of the nodes look discolored.
photo on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thinking about doing a pwc, but I am interested to know, is there a common coral disease that I can treat for/ prevent next time?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

:)

It's good practice to post your water parameters whenever you have a question about something like this.

For the polyps you have they are just getting acclimated give them time. However looks like a not so nice little aiptasia nem right in the middle of them. Looks like you also have a terrible Valiona(bubble algae) problem.

Looks like the second one is a pulsing xenia but I'm not positive there.

Just post your water parameters and people will be able to help more.

Thanks for the prompt reply Tweak. I will get parameters up asap. I realized I still have a freshwater test kit, so I need to get one for sw.

Why is bubble algae a 'problem'? Is it invasive/ aggressive?

Thanks again.

I believe, in the first pic, that is a button polyp (but I have been wrong in the past).
That bubble algae can spread pretty quickly.
What kind of lights do you have?
And of course we will need water parameters, as stated by oni.

Switched 50 Gallon tank to sw, added live substrate and live rock and let the tank cycle for 4 days.
:)

I think most of your issue comes from the 4 day cycle. My guess is your tank is not cycled and that will spell disaster for your corals. The button polyps may make it though but the other probably not.

I was also thinking the 4 day cycle is a likely culprit. Do you know if the live rock you bought was already cured? Where did you get it?

We'll have to wait and see what the water parameters are but I'm wondering if the tank is not cycled if the white discoloration could be ammonia burns, or just very unhappy corals.

PS the second pic looks like clove polyps to me but it's hard to tell. I would say definitely not Xenia. FWIW some corals take many days to open up in their new homes but I do think there is something else up here.

I guess my lack of experience is really showing here....

I was told by the local 'expert' that with the live rock and live sand that the cycle would be very quick. I took water samples to the lfs after that 4 days and they tested and said everything was looking good to start populating the tank.

With respect to the lighting. I have the hood light that came with the tank. It is an 18 inch fluorescent "natural daylight." F15T8 bulb, not sure on wattage. I know this will need to be upgraded if I want to grow anything serious, but again, the lfs said that the soft corals I purchased would be fine for the time being under this light.

Should I do a pwc to try and lower the nitrate levels (assuming they are high)?

Also, there are no fish in the tank, so why would there be a high ammonia level?

Feeling completely inept, but appreciating the help! :)

The ammonia is needed for the cycle to begin. Ammonia goes up and comes down while nitrite goes up then comes down. Both at zero, and the tank is cycled. Takes a week or two.

Your rock prolly had some dead stuff on it which when deacying creates ammonia.

Get your own test kit and read up on SW tank cycling. Help yourself out. DO NOT rely on that lfs. No way a tank cycles in 4 days, unless the rock was completely cured with bacteria living on it already. But that coldn't be since you've got ammonia.

Also, read up on cured vs non-cured rock.

Bubble algae is not a good thing either.

Last edited:
Austinsdad, thanks! Ammonia explanation makes perfect sense. The live rock I bought was supposed to be cured, I think, because it was kept in a large shallow tank with lights and skimmer and circulation. The substrate was also supposed to be 'good to go' because it came wet. In any case, I obviously have some learnin' to do.

I will continue to read, promise. :)

I don't put too much trust in the live sand being "live". It has to go through digging it up, package, shipping and sitting on the store's shelf...

Back
Top Bottom