nipped fins advice yellow goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyonsee27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just bought a yellow clown goby/yellow rock goby and made my first big reef keeping mistake. firstly i didnt choose exectly which goby i wanted and secondly didnt inspect him properly i was im a distracted. i brought him home and added him to the tank and when looking closer at home noticed he has tatty fins are these just nips from other fish? will they grow back? if so how long? what health issues should i look for? im new at reef keeping so please go easy, please help thanks.:confused:

Welcome to AA. First, tell us about your tank and some water parameters.
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and SG. As far as the fins. It all depends on how bad they are nipped. Keep the water as clean as you can. How well do you know the LSF? You may be able to return it for one in better shape.

sorry for the late repy my internet is playing up. sg 1.024, ph 8, ammonia 0 (maybe just over but its pretty much 0 colour test wise) both n's 0 ive just put two more fish in recently though so that could change these are from saturdays tests. ive no skimmer (yet) i use polyfilter pads the tank is just over two months including cycling, with 4 fish 2 clowns black and orange, a firefish and the yellow goby, plus a cleaner shrimp, 4 small blue legged hermit craabs and two corals a green trumpet and duncan. its around 60 liters/15 gallon. i know him ok ish i bought everything from him including RO water every week oh i do a 10-15% water change every week. i think thats everything. will the fins grow back if its just nipps hes a young fish if that helps. he seams ok barring the tatty fins (its his tail mainly) what health issues should i look for? cos if he ok i'll happly keep him im just worried about my other fish. thanks please advise! ps this its the best hobby ive ever had love it.

just notice he look thin with a sunk belly!!!! crap whats wrong what do i do!

A sunking in belly means it`s starving to death. Try to get some food in him. By any chance did you ask to see the fish eat before you got it. The fins will grow back with pristine water conditions but right now you need to get the fish to eat. You might need to soak the food in garlic if he wont eat.

the other three i did but this one i got sidetracked i got a work call, so i didnt notice till i got home. i cant see anything that jumps out to say hes sick, no spots or anything. im trying now to feed him ill see how it goes i just worried about if he is sick will it affect my other fish. so do you think is just that then i know you've not alot to go on. cheers

at the moment i only have marine flakes and no garlic. he wont have it at the monment ill keep trying.

i think ill have to just pray he ok till morning im in england and it 23.40 so i rush out as so as the LFS is open. hope hes ok then. i only have flakes in cos its what my clown seem to prefere.

took him back today he was ok the LFS helped me out and swaped for a larger healthier looking one. they said he'd be fine. thanks for all the help

just over two months including cycling, with 4 fish 2 clowns black and orange, a firefish and the yellow goby, plus a cleaner shrimp, 4 small blue legged hermit craabs and two corals a green trumpet and duncan. its around 60 liter 15gallons
You have way to many fish and corals in there for a 15 gallon tank.

My goby, though it a watchman, won't touch mysis. Now give him a chuck of shrimp or scallop and he disappears for 30 minutes while he and his pistol buddy chow down. Actually, hardly anyone touches the mysis. My last batch of food I tried chopping them up a bit and still nothing. Even the trigger lets them float right on by. I swear I spoiled them on the shrimp and scallops. Gonna be freezer cleaning time soon.

do i, what do you think i should do? whats a rough guide? i thought it was around 1 inch per gallon. i only have 4 small fish and a shrimp. plus with any luck i'll have a bigger tank in 6 months.

Yes, but you have to look at the area. SW fish tend to stake out an area so they have enough room to survive in . Clowns stake out a 4'x4' area and will defend that area to the death. As you can see an 1" per gallon just don't cut it...Also remember that clowns are Damsels and can be very nasty.

thanks for the advice. my tank is a classic tank rather than a bio cube probably doesnt matter but i thought i'd mention it. i've notice the clowns have picked a rock on the right as there 'house' and the firefish has its cave in the middle and the shrimp on the left mainly. and the little goby doesnt seem to mind. so i should look out for it getting nasty? gutted to here all that i wanted a peaceful happy tank and id got the fish i wanted and it how i wanted it.

just monitor the tank and if you have to try rearranging some of the rockworks.

Yes, but you have to look at the area. SW fish tend to stake out an area so they have enough room to survive in . Clowns stake out a 4'x4' area and will defend that area to the death. As you can see an 1" per gallon just don't cut it...Also remember that clowns are Damsels and can be very nasty.

That's one big mama-jamma clown mansion

Back
Top Bottom