No Luck with jawfish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have attempted 2x now to keep a yellowheaded jawfish. In both instances the fish disappeared. Not really sure what happened to them. I have a secure lid so I know it is not jumping. I think something ate them but all that is in my tank that would do that are my serpents and mroe then likely the fish was dying long before the stars ate them.

So my question is why do my jawfish keep dying. I really want to keep one in my 20xh... water quatlity is all good (got corals and everything).

Any ideas?

Christina

flake (forumal 2), frozen brine... spirulina.

Christina

sounds like u fed them well enough, they are social, its a long shot but i know that particular jawfish is really socialable, could be lack of companions that freaked him out and stressed him to the point of dieing, i would guess the serpent stars too though, unless theres something wrong with the tank u dont know of

The one lasted a week.... I went away came back and he was gone. The other one died within a day (so I don't suspect it was something with my tank).

Is there a species that does better then the others?

Christina

I keep a jawfish ( a yellow head to be exact). What do you have in your tank as far as live rock. Jaw fish in particular like to dig caves. Sand does not paretically help that why most have a gravel or CC beds. Might want to look for caves dug anywhere and check your water levels for a PO4 spike. If he died you will know it really quick. HTH! 0X :wink:

They do best if kept with more then 1. I have had several of them and at one time I had 4 in my 20 gal fuge. I bought a small yellow shrimp goby and he killed them all over time. I could never catch the goby.... They are a cool fish. I crushed up shells and put that in with them so they could use the pieces to make there homes. They even had a door that they would close at night. I will be getting some more soon... I have not seen that goby in months... I think when i was moving the LR around I pinned him in somewhere...
The fish that was gone in a day was either acclimation or the star would be my guess..... If you want them i would get rid of the star....JMO

what other fish r in the tank ! i know my fiji devil would drive them nuts sol i had to pull him out

an orange spotted goby, a chalk bass, and a blue gudgeon goby. That is it for fish.

So should I get 2 at once??

Christina

also alot has to due with how ya turn your lights off !! they need to be turned off slowwwwwwwwwwwww mains first then 03's helps them settle down for the night !! when i got mine they shipped them in a 2" pvc tube with screens on each end i left them in the tube for 24 hours then released them !! it seamed to help alot !

did the other gobies mess with them at all? My book says that the Orange spotted shrimp goby may fight with other conspecifics. So maybe having a similar behavior between the 2 fish this may cause the problem.???

Not that I noticed but maybe at night. I think I am going to give up on that. Has anybody had any luck with other species of jawfish???
As for the lighting I only have 1 bulb on it and it is a 50/50.

Thanks
Christina

Back
Top Bottom