Not sure if I should post here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure it's really sick, it seems to be healthy but seems to have a tear in it, could it be splitting and if so would it split from the center out?

Btw this is the large toadstool leather we have. If it's splitting it figures since we just went out and got this other tank to put it in oh well.

Oh also, so I don't have to make another post, when we take out the leather since it's so large will it be damaged if it is exposed to air?

Thanks and sorry it's the best pic I could get of the hole. I know it can't be a mouth, the clown hosts it but I know it doesn't feed it ;)

I'm not sure it's really sick

Better safe than sorry!!!

but seems to have a tear in it, could it be splitting and if so would it split from the center out?

It could be developing a necrotic area (rub your finger around the hole and see if it crumbles at the edges) or it could be splitting. I remember a thread a couple years ago on another forum about a toadstool splitting from the middle, I had never heard of it before, but they provided photos and it is possible.

Oh also, so I don't have to make another post, when we take out the leather since it's so large will it be damaged if it is exposed to air?

No, but since it is so large, I would remove it in a large bowl of tank water, the water in the bowl will help it support it's weight.

It could be developing a necrotic area (rub your finger around the hole and see if it crumbles at the edges) or it could be splitting. I remember a thread a couple years ago on another forum about a toadstool splitting from the middle, I had never heard of it before, but they provided photos and it is possible.

Ok I did this, very slimy and I guess because the clown hosts it a lot it didn't retract either, weird huh. It didn't crumble, felt very smooth, LOL it will be cool if it does split, I guess I don't blame it, it's pressing up against the glass. The leather is attached to two pieces of live rock, it is going to be really interesting getting it out of the tank, we plan on filling a rubbermaid that's why I had asked on the other post about acclimating, would I be able to take some of the water from the tank out and just directly put the toadstool in with out going through an acclimation thing since it's the same water? I really hate doing this, this tank has been so good for us, I don't want to wreck it but we have no choice.

Thanks again Kevin for always being there to answer our questions you and Aaron and all that help us on this site are great! :D

Back
Top Bottom