Not sure if my PBT is sick, please help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Usually I notice that my PBT's body is very smooth, but today I noticed that the sides of his body have some undulations in them. Its not really bumps and he doesn't have white spots. I'm really not sure what it is. He has been in my main tank for about a month and has been doing very well. He is in a 75 gal tank and is fed a mixture of Nori, mysis, krill pellets, marine flake, spirulina flakes all soaked in Garlic Elixer. He is eating well and seems to be swimming around well. I'm not sure if this appearance is something to be alarmed about so I would appreciate your responses. TIA.

It doesn't sound like the malady my PBT had - large brown spots and white "dust" on his body. Turned out his diet was too meaty. He'd been ignoring the Formula 2 I was feeding him and eating up the mysis. I stopped feeding him Formula 2 and he declined further - getting very lethargic.

He's back on Formula 2 and doing great now. I'd make sure his diet is heavy in veggies if I were you, though I don't know that that's the problem.

The first 2 weeks I had him I didn't feed him any nori and have integrated it into his diet here and there. Yeah I will definitely start feeding him nori more aggressively. He loves it anyway. Thanks for that advice.

I just did a 10 gal water change about 5 minutes ago since it has been 2 weeks since my last water change anyway. I previously used Aquarium Pharmaceutical's Tap Water Filter to fill up my tank and do water changes. This was my first water change since getting my ro/di unit so hopefully that would help out my water quality. My tap water is not that bad to begin with, the TDS meter read 130 ppm which isn't bad at all for tap. I also attached some nori to a lettuce clip and he is munching away on it.

Hopefully nothing is wrong with my PBT. He doesn't have anyone picking on him since his tankmates are (1) O. clown, (1) banggai cardinal, and (1) Coral Beauty. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is there plenty of algae in the tank for him to munch on? I'm pretty much algae-free now so I always make sure he gets a Formula 2 square in there everyday.

I also feed the Formula 2 first, when he's hungry he'll tear into it. He'll go after the Mysis if he has a choice. I have him trained now that he'll eat the F2, go after some mysis, then back to the F2.

I've had him 9 months now and he's never looked better. How long have you had him? I've read they're hard to keep but I can't say that about mine at all - he's the hardiest fish I have.

My tank is pretty much algae free as well. I have had him for a month and he has been the healthiest fish in my tank as well as the most active. He is definitely the boss of the tank. He is a very aggressive eater as well. I don't think anything is seriously wrong with him its a very slight observation I saw this morning when I had my face right against the glass of the tank. I will pick up some formula 2 as well and see if he likes it. From what I have been reading it might be related to water quality so I did a 10 gal water change today. I will test my levels a little later, so that should give me a good idea about what's going on.

My PBT has those as well. Their not spots, just little tiny "bumps" under the skin here and there. Not really noticable until you are right at the glass looking at him. He's doing great, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine's been in about a month or so and all is good. JMO

Jim

yeah my pbt will show "bumps" on his skin from time to time but it usually goes away in a couple of days. I think as long as its eating it should be alright.

Back
Top Bottom