off parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patricksmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just want to see what I need to get for my tank.. For the 1st time after testing my parameters are high.. except for my PH

Ph-8.0
Ammonia- .25-.50
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate- 30

please help

How old is this tank? Are there fish in it yet? If you have fish, do whatever water changes you need to get it below .25 ammonia. If no fish, it is ok to let ammonia rise to 4.0. Over time the ammonia should rise and come back down to 0, as should the nitrite.

Tank has been established since easter. There is a threadnose butterfly, 2 clowns, black molly live rock and an aneomone. We had a problem cause the power went out and the water wasnt getting filtered and i think it was stopped for at least a day. we were pretty busy and didnt notice. Last night we did change some of the water out.. so could that just be why the numbers are a little high?

First order of buisness is to do some PWC`s. Ammonia needs to be 0 and nitrite close to 0. Secondly you need to find the cause of ammonia. Whether it`s overfeeding or tap water or something died. It could be that your tank is cycling now if you did not cycle. Thirdly, An anenome should never be in a tank under a yr old IMo. Too many parameter swings like you are experiencing now. Hope it works out.

Sounds like most of your biological filtration is in your filter, and you got an ammonia spike when it was not running. Water changes to keep the fish comfortable while everything re-cycles should do the trick. It should re-cycle quickly if you keep your old filter media.

Sounds like most of your biological filtration is in your filter, and you got an ammonia spike when it was not running. Water changes to keep the fish comfortable while everything re-cycles should do the trick. It should re-cycle quickly if you keep your old filter media.

ok thanks.. yea sounds like it changed cause the filter wasnt running. I will check tonight and see if anything has changed :)

Back
Top Bottom