Oh no...Did I just put another fish killer in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally have added two fish (small clowns) back into my tank after the previous ones were "taken out" by my CBS. The CBS is now gone (although I'm not proud of the way I had to do it).
Last weekend I purchased a brittle star. I thought they were all the same and he would just help to keep my sandbed clean. He is green in color and as I've done some more reading I think he may be a killer also.
Should I remove him to the QT and take him back to the LFS?

TIA
Steve

Yup the green ones can be more aggressive. I would take it back and opt for a serpent star, their arms don't break off as much and they are better to look at IMO

i have a huge brittle star, an easy 6-8 inches across, i've never seen him after any fish, curious now if i should take him out...

he is not green however, but brown with some tanish color stripes on the underside.

he is not green however, but brown with some tanish color stripes on the underside.
Should be Ok, its the green ones that are documented to be a problem.

This is one of those stories I have never been able to get a true answer to.

I have heard it told that a green bristlestar will corner and kill fish. However, I have asked everyone who has ever kept them, or knows people that have ever kept them, and have yet to find any evidence of this. Is it one of those "Fish-keepers' Tales"?

IMO I have watched them and they don't seem to move that fast. I think any fish slow enough to get eaten by one was pretty poor to begin with.

Has anyone first or even second hand knowledge of these stars actually eating fish?

Green brittle stars will indeed trap fish. It's not a fish keepers tale. I had a fish killer star and I made excuse after excuse that it wasn't him taking out my chromis. Til I actually got to see the it go into the trap stand. They stand on their denticles til a fish takes refuge under them. This will normally happen at night when the fish is looking for a safe haven to bed down. Small fish are the normal target. The fish trapping is less of a problem though if you keep the starfish well fed. Try target feeding it some shrimp, silverside, krill, whatever so it doesn't need to hunt.

I have always had the green brittles and have not had problems, but then, like Fluff suggested, mine are pretty well fed.

I miss having mine. And if I'd known then what I know now, I'd still have it. They are awesome stars. I think they would be great in a larger system with larger predatory fish. They just aren't safe with small fish. :(

Try target feeding it some shrimp, silverside, krill, whatever so it doesn't need to hunt.

Well, I'm not taking any chances. I've already removed him to my QT and he'll be going back this weekend.

Thanks for the info though.

Look for the grey one/brittle. Had mine for a couple of years. Neat how he stays in one place for a couple of days, but you always see his arms. Just chillin' (no relation :roll: ), and only reacting when there's food about.

Or, check out the serpent stars. I got a red striped one, but only see him once every couple of months. Just one arm. Maybe others hang out more.

I'm gonna quote you now as my source of the info Fluff - thanks :p

I have 2 serpent stars in my tank - they are great and no bother to anyone.

img00605.jpg

Are you sure your CBS actually killed your clowns or took advantage of week or dead fish due to other problems.

Back
Top Bottom