Oh, no, Ich again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just took my new hippo tang out of quarantine 3 weeks ago, where he did very well for 4 weeks after I purchased him. I had left the main tank fishless for 7 weeks after a bout of ich a couple of months ago. This morning, I see the dreaded white specks, and the tang is rubbing all over the sand and rocks. :(

Unfortunately, I have 4 tiny blue reef chromis in the quarantine for observation right now. They are (were, I'm afraid now) due to be released into the main tank next week. I also have two O. clowns in the main which will also need to go into QT.

I'd like to do the hypo treatment for all these fishes, but my QT is only ten gallons. Is that big enough to house these residents for the duration of treatment? I'll probably have to end up doing water changes daily :(.

The tang is about 2 1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail, the clowns are 2 and 2 1/2 inches, and the new chromis are 1 inch each. Is this plan doable?

Oh, did my water changes yesterday, and parameters are the same for both tanks:

NH3 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 between 5-10
SG 1.023
Temp 79

Thanks, one more time, for any advice.

Are you sure it's Ich and not pieces of small sand grans stuck to him.... My tang sometimes has that and they fall off after awhile....

Did you treat the tang in the QT tank or just observe? If you didn't treat, he could have very well brought the ich in himself. For whatever reason, the new tank environment caused him to have a "flare up". Usually this occurs in the QT where they are particularily stressed and have cramped quarters. But if you didn't actually treat for ich while in QT, he's the likely culprit.

I`m one of those that does not believe in treating fish till you know they have . I think the OP said they had him in the QT for 4 weeks and the tang looked OK. 4 weeks should have been plenty of time to notice parasites. If thats all you got then that`s all you have as far as the tank. I sure wish though that you could pick up a twenty gallon tank at least.

I think the OP said they had him in the QT for 4 weeks and the tang looked OK. 4 weeks should have been plenty of time to notice parasites.

Actually nope, that's not true. Fish can have small numbers of tolerable ich that never get out of control enough so we could notice.... until they are stressed. That's why I said the the QT usually causes an outbreak. But it doesn't guarantee it.

I wasn't recommending treatment, I was just asking. If they had treated, the source would not be the tang but something else.... just trying to put the pieces together.

I`m just saying that most peple will QT their fish for about 4 weeks. Yes I agree that the parasite could still be there as it needs a fish host to survive. I`m just trying to piece things together just like you are. I`m just saying that it does not necessarily mean it`s the tang.

the die is cast, more advice needed

I just spent most of this afternoon catching and transferring my tang and two clowns into my QT. I have also lowered the SG from 1.022 to 1.020. It should go down to 1.009, am I correct? And how long does it stay there?

PS to Tank: It's definitely not sand grains :( !

PPS to everyone else: Thanks for all your input, and yes, the tang did spend 4 weeks in quarantine (no treatment) before going to my main tank. Three weeks after that is when the ich showed up.

I mean yes, you should keep it at 1.009, sorry about that Diane, I wasn't mean to get you confused.

Hypo is definately the way to go. My Lionfish had it pretty bad.

img_956535_0_9fdbaff86e325a6e60399972123f95d6.jpg

6 weeks at 1.009. You have to be careful of the pH. I would top off every morning and night with buffered RO/DI.

One link posted here by Melosu says to replace 1/5 (20%) of the volume with fresh water every 12 hours until the SG reaches 1.009, so that's what I'm doing. I will also watch the pH. Thanks!

I have my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom