Ok we dont know what to do HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok we just got back to school last night (where the 8 and 14 gallon are) and we checked everything in both of our tanks. The 8 gallon parameters were ammonia about .5-1, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 80. Then in the 14 gallon tank ammonia about .5, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 5. Do you think we need to do a water change in both of them and if so how much of a water change? PS the 8 gallon has no fish in it but the 14 gallon had 1 damsel in it last night but this morning when we checked it everything was still the same BUT the damsel in the 14 gallon had died. What is going on because we put the start smart in both tanks about 1 week ago.

Honestly, it sounds like you're not done cycling. There should be absolutely no ammonia present in your tanks if you're cycled. I've never tried Start smart, but 1 week seems just too short a time to cycle. I'd introduce an ammonia source and complete your cycle. When you can dose ammonia and it's been completely changed to nitrate in 24 hours, you should be good to go.

Pretty much what was said above. You need to fully cycle. I dont know much about this smart start stuff, but I'm under the assumption it is bacteria in a bottle or something...I don't like the concept and always leads people wrong. Toss an uncooked shrimp or pure ammonia in there and go for gold.

We did that last night and we checked everything this morning and ammonia was 2 and nitrate was about 20 so we are going to check it at about 4 Oclock and tell yall what has happend

That bacteria stuff isn't very reliable. Most here would advise against using it.

I would do 50%, you've got to get that ammonia outta there. That's a toxic living environment for your fish.

You need to have this thread merged with your "smart start" thread..... duplicate threads are not necessary and only serve to confuse those trying to assist you.

Back
Top Bottom