omg... cyano... trying to cure, skimmer went crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried to cure my cyanobacteria on my LR with E.M. erythromycin (anti-bacterial fish medication) the LFS prescribed and told me it was a good way to get rid of it.. as I put some in the tank, both my skimmers went wild and I now have microbubbles all over my tank.. what should I do?.. should I turn off my skimmer?.. TIA

That is very bad advice. While it will get rid of it, it will also kill off all your beneficial bacteria. Antibiotics are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to killing bacteria. It kills good and bad. You will need to do some serious watching of the water parameters and I would do a water change to get the antibiotics out of the tank to try to salvage some filtration ability. Then read the articles on how to treat cyano that are here for your alternatives.

uh oh... I asked them if It would kill any of beneficial bacteria and they said no.. It only targets bad and my nitrifying bacterias should be fine... wtf...I will do pwc maybe tomorrow.. as for my skimmer. what do I do with it?.. do i turn it off?

ok... I'm going to read more about the product and find out if it actually kills all bacterias in tank

Either way, it's still a band-aid approach. Even if it doesn't kill off the nitrifying bacteria (which it may not, depending on what literature you read - gram negative versus gram positive bacteria), you may still end up with a ammonia spike from the cyano die off. Watch your ammonia levels and have water mixed up. Also, before taking someone's advice at face value (even here!), do a little research to see what the ramifications may be.

ok.. well I can't find much about the product.. But I think It will kill my good bacterias.. so I am following what also the LFS told me, not the box instructions... I was suppose to put 1 pack for every 10 gallons in my 75, so thats 7.5 pack, so that's ridiculuos... but LFS told me use half of one, wait 48 hours, then use the remaining half and shouldn't add anymore. Is that better? or will it still kill my bacterias? Also.. I will keep an eye on my ammonia, but I guess I'm gonna have to turn my skimmers on again to help it out.

You might try activated charcoal in your filter to remove the E.M. and turn off the skimmers. Next time use Chemi-Clean. It's still a band-aid approach, but it works without killing off the nitrifying bacteria.

ok.. but Y turn off my skimmer?.. shouldn't it help with the E.M. and red algae to go somewhere?

stop going everywhere? or what?.. sorry, but I need more specific instructions.. haha

All Erythromycin products will inhibit nitrification and gram positive/negative bacteria not to mention an ingredient used is Erythromycin phosphate, which means you are also introducing phosphate into your aquarium. Very low doses might carry little to no risk, but a risky quick cure isn't your problem: water quality is. If you wish for a quick cure until you can solve your water quality issue, then do try Chemi-Clean (do not overdose and mix very well!) or one of the various slime removers, which shouldn't contain any E, phosphates, etc (do check into this first!).

I called yesterday for a little quick fix for this problem and LFS guy said they got chemi-clean... I went today, couldn't find it & couldn't find the guy... instead, this lady prescribed erythromycin with very low dose... hmmm... I don't think I can take it back since they aren't very "friendly" and had problems returning things before.. btw they are the only big LFS where I live.. so I'm kinda stuck with them.. :(

Cyanobacteria will always be present, but it can be controlled. Your issue is controlling it instead of finding a quick cure.

Cyanobacteria will always be present, but it can be controlled. Your issue is controlling it instead of finding a quick cure.
I know that.. but since it was all over my LR I decided to get rid of it quick... I'm planning to invest on a RO/DI sytem now...

Another way I've found that is helpful is a blackout period of a few days, followed by a thorough tank cleaning and 25% water change. I only have freshwater tanks, though, so I'm not sure how blackouts might affect marine tanks.

Yeah I don't think I can do that.. since I want corraline algae right now and just added kalkawasser for faster growth... hmmm

Back
Top Bottom