One Spot Foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle3008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently (in the last two hours) added a naso tang and one spot foxface fish.

The naso seems fine, but the foxface will go from normal colors to loss of color and back and forth. I'm worried if he is ok and this is normal or if he may be dying.

Right now he is fine and swimming around, but he will do that for sometime and then go back under the rock as the picture shows below.

I have with them two clowns (one black and other orange), coral beauty, pajama cardinal, and a scooter blennie.

Thanks!

img_1576088_0_3b36bf7f8b3c8241916349675933c21a.jpg

It is the foxface's natural defense to change its colours (almost like an octopus). They will do so when angry or scared (the most common defense pattern is the 'spotted cow' they will turn almost all white with black blotches). Don't worry once she calms down she will look normal again. The only thing you need to look our for is black ich. For some reason foxfaces seem to be pron to black ich when stressed (like tangs are to white ich). I would suggest feeding her mysis shrimp soaked in garlic guard. Attach nori to a rock and place it close to the general area she likes to hide to encourage her to eat. I find that foxfaces are the easiest to train to eat right out of your hand, so it won't take long.

Yes. He has been eating some flakes that I gave him soaked in garlic. I had actually thought he died this morning since it looked like he lost more color that usual but thrn moved as I went to get hime with the net.

Foxy is doing great. Got her eating flakes and shrimp easily and she keeps her color for the majority of the time. Sadly, the fish that I thought was doing fine at first, the naso tang, died. It starved itself to death. Luckily though my LFS took him back and gave me full credit towards a kole tang.

That might be too small for a foxface since they are active swimmers and grow to about 8'

Definitely waaay too small for a naso tang. Pls consider not putting another in there. They need a 6' tank, even more than other tangs IMO.

Didn't grab a naso. Just saved the credit for something else in the future. But is it really too small for the fox? From what the LFS and what I read online, the size should be okay. But then again the LFS also told me that the naso would be okay too.

Be very hesitant to listen to that lfs. Anyone telling you a naso tang can go in a corner tank like you have is either very unknowledgeable or out to take your money. Look the fish up on your own before buying. This link is helpful somtimes. Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

It says the foxface needs at least 70g, but I'm thinking the corner tank you have is even less swimming room and may cause stress. Good luck.

Make sure she is not swimming into the glass. When they are too large for a tank they tend to swim into the sides. She should be fine, but as she grows i would suggest getting a larger tank for a forever home. Like a mentioned before it will take several years for her to reach full size since they tend to be slow grow slowly.

Waffle3008 said:
I have with them two clowns (one black and other orange), coral beauty, pajama cardinal, and a scooter blennie.

Thanks!

This almost exactly my stock. Along with the one spot. He freaks me out every morning when I turn on the lights. All washed out with weird spots.

yeah, took me a while to get used to at first...thought he was a goner the first morning

Back
Top Bottom