oodinium/velvet outbreak - what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Started adding fish to my new tank this past Feb. Broke away from the quarantine after adding a UV sterilizer. Big mistake!!
Got some white dusting on a few fish, discribed it to my LFS to no avail. A few weeks later, after telling them fish were dying fast, they told me about oodinium. Lost a Scotts Wrass, 2 orchid dottybacks, 2 spot goby, bristle tooth tang, 2 blennies - all within 9 days.

Have treated twice with a "Revive". The second time, 5 days and a 50% water change after the 1st. Turned off the skimmer the 2nd time, but left the UV on. Got 2 Blue/green chromis and a watchman goby left - with no signs of dusting on their fins or scales. Got coral and inverts seemingly doing OK so far.

Should I still go fishless for 4-6 wks hoping the disease will run it's couse with no hosts and die off?

What should I do next :(

Yes, fishless, I went fallow for 8 weeks with good result. I had a velvet outbreak earlier in the year. You must get all the fish out into qt. Treat the fish with copper, cupramine worked great for me. Make sure you get seachems multitest kit to monitor level.
leave the tank empty of fish for at least 6 weeks (inverts are ok, not hosts). You can also raise the temp in the main tank to 83-85 degrees, this helps speed up the life cycle of the parasite.
This is the treatment I used with excellent result. As you now know, you must move fast.
Good luck!!

Thanks so much. Got one Deresa clam, 2 brittle stars, 2 sand sifting stars, shrimp (5 cleaner, 3 red, 5 peppermint, & 1 tiger pistol), snails, and hermit crabs after the fish are removed. Hopefully, the pistol won't miss his watchman buddy too much and perish. 6 weeks, huh? I'm a newcomer, and learned the most valuable lesson - Patience.

Back
Top Bottom