Open brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what this green spot is on my brain. Tentacles aren't coming out in this spot and seems to have appeared sometime in the last couple days. Just noticed it.

Attachments

• image-244032467.jpg
    image-244032467.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 125
If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Today the brain didn't expand at all. Damaged area looks slightly larger with no green spot.

This is how it looks today. Not food. Looks like thy spot it rotting away.

Attachments

• image-4146498324.jpg
    image-4146498324.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-298238994.jpg
    image-298238994.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 105
The white puffy part is spreading. I pulled a large chunk off. I have a feeling my brain is going o go downhill fast.

Attachments

• image-148139378.jpg
    image-148139378.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 88
Yeah, I would wanna know the parameters and the lighting. Also, when did you get it? Did you dip or do anything like qt it? Are your other corals if you have any doing ok?

I will check parameters tonight. It is puffed up some today. I pulled a chunk off I the damaged are. Was turning brown. This is a pic today. If u look at the spot it is a little larger and still no tentacles.

Attachments

• image-1932655295.jpg
    image-1932655295.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 85
I have a six bulb t5ho light. Tank is 25" deep. All other corals look good. I've had it about 90 days. Did not dip. Will have to read up more on how and what to use. Thanks for the help.

If you had it for 3 months and are just seeing this now, I don't think it would be a parasite. You could try a Lugol's dip I suppose. Perhaps something picked at it after a feeding. I have seen crabs and fish eat the food right out of LPS after i have fed them and once the food was totally inside the coral. I had an arrow crab that would reach right inside the mouth and remove whatever it wanted. After the flesh is damaged, it's possible for it to fall victim to some sort of bacterial infection. ....Just thinking of possibilities.

Another thing is if it was near another coral ( too close) it might have got into a fight? My acans and hammer had a hell of a battle, both lost flesh!

Home and testing water now. So far so good. Looks like a fungus on it to me.

Attachments

• image-4271882528.jpg
    image-4271882528.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 83
Oh and as far as parasite mr x I would only think this because the pink and orange zoas I added are only about a week old. Next time I am in the city I have to get something to dip corals with to rule this out. The orange are doin great. The pinks won't open. I've read that pink can be difficult.

Generally speaking, parasites that effect zoanthids do not bother with LPS. Zoa eating nudis and pox don't effect lobos, wellsos, and tracys.

Well that rules that out. Good to know. Here are my test results.

Hagen test kits
PH. Between 8 an 8.5. Hard to read color chart
Nitrite 0
Nitrates close to 0 less than 5. Barely a hint of color
Phosphates. Between 0 and 0.25
Red Sea foundation tests
Kh. 9.5
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1280

I have a reactor with npx bio pellets but have never used it. I thought these levels were acceptable enough not to mess with it. What does everyone else think.

Thanks guys. I will see If I can get some sent to me. When I find it lol.

Back
Top Bottom