Pair of Percula clowns not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Its now been a week since i bought my mated pair of True Percs and I am yet to see them eat anything at all. I'm starting to get super worried and sick in the stomach just thinking about it.

The only other two fish i have are a small wrasse and a blue damsel fish that's totally harmless. They all mind there own business and never bother each other. I was feeding the wrasse and damsel frozen mysis shrimp and they loved it. The clowns didnt even swim to it let alone look interested. I've since tried pellets and frozen brine shrimp without any luck. Twice i've seen them take a bit in their mouths but spit it out again.

The LFS said to get some fresh fish/ scollops and cut that up finely and try. I'll be doing that this morning some time. Does anyone else have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

How long has the tank been up and running? Not eating could be linked to ammonia poisoning... Try them with some brine shrimp in garlic, my pair actually try to swim up the turkey baster to get to it when I feed them.

Are they a wild pair? Did you ask your lfs to feed them before you bought? What are you feeding? A week isn't really a long time for not eating. I've gone on vacation and not fed them for a week with nothing bad happening.

thanks for the reply. The only thing I havn't tried is the garlic thing. I will give that a go later today. The tank has been going for a month and a half now. Recent test was a few days ago with ammonia and nitrites on 0. Nitrates only just detectable.

Once the tank was cycled I hit it pretty hard with a about 3 20% water changes with 10 days to drop the nitrates right down before adding the clowns.

Yes, the clowns are wild caught ones and no I didnt see the pet shop owners feed them :( I have a pretty good relationship with one of the guys who work there and he has been very helpfull with suggestions but I'm running out of options.

Another thing that bothers me is un-eaten food in the tank from trying to get them to eat. I've tried brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, pellets, fresh fish, scollops, fresh prawn. I've seen one of them peck at the prawn once but that was it.

I guess I'll just give the tank a good clean today, change some water and try the garlic later this afternoon.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom