Palys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
These are pictures of what someone on this forum told me was some kind of a paly (under stress since they are white). Since these two pictures (the 2 with the toothpick showing) were taken several months ago, these little guys have pretty much stayed the very same. They closed up when I squirted frozen food "juice" around them and then opened a few minutes later. In the last few days they have gotten noticably larger and two of them have turned a little brown on the inside. They continue to open & close when I feed them. No new little ones have shown up :( My question is: Is this a good thing or bad? I thought, since they were getting larger, that seemed good. I thought that since they were getting a little brown inside that they might be turning their original color..... I've read since, that turning brown is not good and that if their tentacles got longer they were not getting enough food (I forgot to mention that the little hairlike strings around the outside have become more obvious.... I didn't know there were any to start with). I guess I'm asking for a progress report. Has anyone else had this experience with palys? Whatever anyone can tell me would be appreciated. These guys have been a lesson in patience for me........

Attachments

• DSC01105.jpg
    DSC01105.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC01106.jpg
    DSC01106.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 84
  • paly's 12-3-11.jpg
    paly's 12-3-11.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
With bleached corals the development of brown pigmentation is probably a good sign, it's the initial return of their symbiotic zooxanthellae.

if their tentacles got longer they were not getting enough food

I've never heard that before. Longer feeder tentacles on palys improve their food capture ability and eat larger food particles or items; I equate the longer tentacles to good health.

The return of the zooxanthellae and the development of longer feeder tentacles are steps in the right direction. It may take many months for them to recover. When they've fully replenished their zooxanthellae they'll slowly make the shift from brown to their ideal colors.

Back
Top Bottom