Panic sets in.. $1500 and no fish yet.. just had a thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I was reading a thread over at reefcentral.com about the guy putting a 26g bowfront in his bathroom with a 175g fuge/sump. With the tank being in the bathroom the conversation happened on the use of cleaning chemicals and hair product in the bathroom that could contaminate the water and wipeout the system.

That got me to thinking about the use of lysol and other air sprays. If you remember I started the thread asking about cigerette smoke. It just so happens that the person I live with both smokes and uses these products frequently and sometimes excessively... sometimes to the point I think I'm gonna be sick from all the dang fumes!!! :evil:

So.. is my tank doomed? I was planning on using egg crete on the front portion of the top of my tank for good air flow but now I'm wondering if that is not such a good idea.

Would running lots of GAC in a power filter be a good idea?

What should I do?

Thanks,

-Maximo

lysol and other products are designed to kill germs. The germs they are refering to are probably bacteria. That would also mean the beneficial bacteria in the tank :( . I don't use any product like that in the rooms that have tanks.

It's hard to do anything other than speculate, but from your descriptions so far, I would imagine this is not a good environment for the aquarium. The carbon will help but can only do so much. If it's enough to make you feel sick then that's certainly excessive quantities

I think you should have a talk with this person and try to achieve some sort of compromise.

if the person is using the lysol to help elimiate the smell of the smoke try one of those plug in the wall freshener thinies and politely request that no sprays be used in that room the the windex or what ever can be sprayed on the towel in another room or hallway or something.hth

We have a standing RULE in my house. No arasol's in any room that has a tank in it. The reasoning is that anything airborn can and will find its way into the tank. Its just how much of a detrament it will be. Smoke seems to have a negliable effect assuming proper water changes and skimming is observed. Spray airsols on the other hand I really dont want to experment to find out.

Yes I will talk to her. It's the price I pay for living rent free! It is my Grandmother. She is pretty well set in her ways. There is hope tho.. she asked me lastnight when I was going to get some fish so there is a bit of interest there.

So I will be the toxic air/marine tank test pilot. I'll keep you guys updated. I will be getting Liverock tomorrow so hopefully my cycle will end soon.

Thanks for all your input,

-Maximo

Back
Top Bottom