Panther groupers mouth gapping, even bigger gape when died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hok

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For the past few days, everyday I have few panther groupers died with following signs:
Die at bottom (99%)
Mouth gapping at all times, even bigger gape after dieing (99%)
Breathe faster than normal and gills cover is opened wider than normal (99%)
Hemorrhage under skin especially on and around gills cover (80%)
Dark coloration (50%)

I have treated those sick fishes with followings:
Give affected fish a short bath with freshwater, lasting 15 minutes
Formalin [200 ppm (3 ml in 4 gallons of seawater) of 37% formaldehyde solution] short bath with strong aeration for an hour

Results:
8 hours after treatment, about half of sick fishes died, it appears to have accelerated the death. In contrast, surveying fishes appear to be in better condition as most fishes’ mouth is no longer gapping but still breathe faster than normal and gills cover is opened wider than normal. Results more than 8 hours are not yet available at this time of posting.

Before any panther groupers died, I saw some panther groupers mouth gapping at all times, breathe faster than normal, but after weeks they normally recovered. However, now many of them ended with death.

Any help to stop panther groupers from dieing is greatly appreciated.

Since about 35% of panther groupers only eat raw fish meat instead of pellet, I have no choice but fed those Tuna belly meat.

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, salinity, temps). Sounds like ammonia poisoning but more info would be needed to help diagnose. If it is ammonia, this could be a direct result of thier diet fouling the water. Could you give more info on your tank? How old is it, how long have you had the groupers? How often do you perform water changes? How often do you feed?

I am wondering what size tank and just how many groupers you have in it. It does indeed sound like ammonia poisoning which would be cause by too much fish waste in a tank unable to handle the situation.

Given the fact a normal grouper needs 200-300gallon and you have mentioned many groupers, you need one big tank.

If you do not have the proper filtration and tank needs for these fish, ammonia poisoning seems like the number 1 killer here.

Back
Top Bottom