Perc Clown not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i take offense to that name i was born and raised in brooklyn !! j/k lol

Lol. I feel so bad for ksum! I get stressed when my fish are sick and I don't know what to do. It also worries me that the LFS mentioned Brooklynella so quickly. I wonder if they have other fish showing symptoms?

Lol. I feel so bad for ksum! I get stressed when my fish are sick and I don't know what to do. It also worries me that the LFS mentioned Brooklynella so quickly. I wonder if they have other fish showing symptoms?

yea thats a good point

I tried to let him swim around in it, he just curled up and acted like he was dead. I panickd and put him back into the tank.. He was hard to catch. He runs like he is 100%

Since i put him back in, hes n the middle of the tank behind the rock in a dark spot. I see him swimming in place.

Keep an eye on him. I sent you another thread from the folks at Wetwebmedia. Browse through it and see if what he is displaying looks familiar. Hopefully it isn't Brooklynella and he's just having adjustment issues. There are a lot of aquarists who freshwater dip all of the fish they buy to kill any parasites before they put them in their display tanks. I prefer to just QT ours.

He did have white fuzz on him 2 days ago, i thought somehow he had sand stuck to him.. Haha. But it went away after a 25% WC.

But im familar with ich, small white dots.. Like sugar or salt on their body. I didnt know what it was.. But as of today, its only rapid breathing and no eating.

Should i put some of this nox ich the lfs sold me when i had freshwater fish (clown loaches had ich, and it cleared my tank, 6 loaches and 3 angels) and dip him in? Its says for FW and Marine use.

So he is terrified of you? You have mentioned a few times now that it swims away or hides from you.

Think of it this way, a person caught him, a person put him in a bag and shipped him to where ever, a person opened the box, put him in another tank where all day long more people looked, tapped on the glass, etc. Until you, another person bought him, put him in your tank. Pretty traumatic for a fish.

If there is no slime oozing off his body, let him be. Turn the lights down sit far away from the tank and let him watch you and learn that your not bad. When feeding, put it in and move far away from the tank.

It may be a disease, but it is more likely that you will kill it trying to treat it for a disease it doesn't have. If it makes it, great, if not try the things I mentioned from the beginning, and make the LFS show you the fish is eating before you buy it, until they can be trusted.

I'm not familiar with that med. If it doesn't contain formalin, I think that I would probably go with the Quick Cure. There are several folks on here who use the Quick Cure. Just remember not to treat any display tank with coral or inverts. They can't be exposed to most of the meds.

leftyfish said:
So he is terrified of you? You have mentioned a few times now that it swims away or hides from you.

Think of it this way, a person caught him, a person put him in a bag and shipped him to where ever, a person opened the box, put him in another tank where all day long more people looked, tapped on the glass, etc. Until you, another person bought him, put him in your tank. Pretty traumatic for a fish.

If there is no slime oozing off his body, let him be. Turn the lights down sit far away from the tank and let him watch you and learn that your not bad. When feeding, put it in and move far away from the tank.

It may be a disease, but it is more likely that you will kill it trying to treat it for a disease it doesn't have. If it makes it, great, if not try the things I mentioned from the beginning, and make the LFS show you the fish is eating before you buy it, until they can be trusted.

Yeah... But thats obvious hes afraid. Im making sure he reacts to me and not lifelessly swimming. + im worried cuz he will die of starvation

Maya said:
I'm not familiar with that med. If it doesn't contain formalin, I think that I would probably go with the Quick Cure. There are several folks on here who use the Quick Cure. Just remember not to treat any display tank with coral or inverts. They can't be exposed to most of the meds.

Here it is

Attachments

• image-1662764140.jpg
    image-1662764140.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1382009708.jpg
    image-1382009708.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 65
You can see the perc in the back, in shadows of the live rock

Attachments

• image-1796739884.jpg
    image-1796739884.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 74
Malachite green.. The main ingredient in that med is really toxic to bacteria and inverts so don't treat it in your tank. It'll kill off the bacteria and the tank will cycle. It is supposed to be a super strong med for parasites. I personally don't favor medicating my fish unless I am sure of the diagnosis. If you feel confident that your fish has Brooklynella, I would treat it. The disease is usually fatal and requires prompt treatment. The fish will be slimy, fuzzy, breathing hard, and sometimes faded. There may be fuzz on his gills as well. The slime seems to be the later telltale factor. If you think it is ich or that maybe the fish isn't acclimating well.. I would hold off until you see definite symptoms. Treating a stressed fish with meds that strong could kill the fish, and if they aren't necessary then that would be very bad. If the fish has Brooklynella, things are already bad and the sooner you treat, the better the fishes chances.

Idk what to do, he doesnt have any spots or anything out the ordinary on him. No scratching only what i said.. rapid breathing. So im gonna hold off on medicating him. If he still is acting like this tommorow should i do a full 2 min. FW bath? Idk what to do.. I dont want my other fish catching whatever he has.. (if he has anything). I did see my royal gramma scratch his side (flash?) twice on the sand before i changed the water after i noticed white slimy stuff on my perc. Its all gone now, no flashing from the gramma and nothing on the perc..

-plus hes hiding good now to where i cant see his sides, only his tail wagging back n fourth swimming.

-edit: And i guess i will try feeding tank again later tonight, to see if hes eating. Frozen brine mixed with garlic flakes

I would wait as well. If he isn't slimy right now and he seems stable, I would let him just try to work it out. Keep him calm if possible. I don't know if you use vita-Chem (or some other vitamin supplement) or garlic in your food but that is an option to try to boost his immune system. It does concern me that the store mentioned Brooklynella as a "common" possibility. The freshwater dip is a non-toxic way to
Try to rid him of any parasitic infection that he has. But they can be hard on an already stressed fish. Good luck man. Let us know how he does.

This is the flake food.. It Says it has added garlic. Im gonna pick up some pellet food sometime tommorow or next week. But i will keep this forum updated.

But another quick question.. My gloves smell like dirty filter water. I cleaned it a few days ago.. The smell wont go away, how can i clean them and get the smell to go away? I know i cant use soap.

Attachments

• image-3769009346.jpg
    image-3769009346.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 66
Vinegar? Then rinse, rinse, rinse and let air dry. The vinegar is a great non toxic cleaner and it wont hurt the fish. I use it to clean the outside glass instead of glass cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom