PH buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan_dalmatia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone tell me how much can I raise my ph with out shocking my system (PH shock)? I'm at 7.9 and want to bring it up to 8.3-8.4??? I got the buffer from Seachem.

Can someone tell me how much can I raise my ph with out shocking my system (PH shock)? I'm at 7.9 and want to bring it up to 8.3-8.4??? I got the buffer from Seachem.

When did you test the ph? It's always best to test right after the lights go out.

Raising the alkalinity should raise the pH to a safe level. If not, we can work from there. The cause of low pH is always carbon dioxide in running systems, so fresher air/more aeration should help.

It's also worth keeping in mind that pH measurement problems are very common, and I wouldn't do anything drastic based on one test kit or meter.

Frank

When did you test the ph? It's always best to test right after the lights go out.

Raising the alkalinity should raise the pH to a safe level. If not, we can work from there. The cause of low pH is always carbon dioxide in running systems, so fresher air/more aeration should help.

It's also worth keeping in mind that pH measurement problems are very common, and I wouldn't do anything drastic based on one test kit or meter.

Frank

I agree....fix the low ph problem don't add chemicals to fix problem.....aeration, proper water changes and proper maint. schedule should fix the problem naturally....overfeeding could be a problem too.

Upped my PH!!! 55 gallon, I added 6.5 grams of buffer and got it up by 0.2, so from 7.8 to 8.0!!! And ,,,,, everything is doing great, even better!!! More colour to my zoas! Blastomussa way better! Just everything is amazing!!!!!!
The 150 gallon, I added 20 grams and also brought it up to 8.0, but that tank was at 7.9!!! From the fish can't tell the diff!!! So I guess it's better of to monitor your PH and keep it at least above 8.2, I want mine at 8.4!

Talked to Seachem aswell and they told me to be safe and up it 0.1 per day, maybe even by 0.2 a day as long as one is done in the morn and the other at night!!

I finally added a fresh air source to my skimmer. That made a .2 difference when the house was sealed up in the winter and hot part of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom