Plate coral dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just received a purple rim plate coral from bluezooaquatics about 4 hours ago. It looked like this is the bag and still looks the same. We drip acclimated for over an hour. Is it dead? In the pic online it's supposed to be a blue green color. It looks completely bleached.

Attachments

• image-2839632484.jpg
    image-2839632484.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 149
Looks like its almost all dead. Definitely. Call them for a refund! The entire skeleton is showing.

Is that def it's skeleton? It has a green and brown hue to it and its like spotted kind of. I already notified BZA. They said they'll give me a credit. I know if it is dead it could sometimes spawn months later so ill keep it in the tank. Just didn't know if there was anything I could do to save it.

That's what I mean. It's not white. It glows under blue lights and its green with brownish blotches under day lights. Either way I'm getting a credit.

That's nearly dead. You could keep it and hope for the best but with my experience with bluezoo they would definetly refund that. Here's mine. They should look like they are swollen with water.

First pic is when I got it home and was "deflated" second one is of it in all its glory :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121026_181952.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121026_181952.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20121026_182024.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121026_182024.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 98
It probably IS dead. I'm just trying to stay positive! Lol. They are issuing a credit... Don't know if ill order livestock from them again. Could it really turn like this in the few hours it took to ship? Or do you guys think they shipped it looking like crap?

I wouldn't blame bluezoos. Ive had great luck with them but plates don't handle transit very well. They are pretty delicate.

I would reccomend trying to find some fungia locally where you can bring it home after inspecting it. I'm a huge fan of ordering online but this is one coral I would hesitate on.

Ok so... After "lights out" the plate coral is turning brown and the pale pink rim is not hot pink and he looks like he's puffing up slowly. Do I have false hope? Or am I right to believe he might be holding on? Fingers crossed!!!

Corals can be surprisingly hardy. I don't remove a coral until there is absolutely no tissues left and then I still leave the skeleton for a day or two to be sure.

I've said already I'm leaving it in. It looks cool and it could possible spawn.... Just wishing/hoping its actually alive. Lol

What my brother in arms said. Corals are sometimes crazy hardy, even if they can be difficult to keep. I have a purple na na in my tank that died during a power outage. I always leave skeletons in my tank for this reason...one of which is a plate coral if it makes you feel better...but one day I went to move the tissue-less skeleton to discover 2 small patches of tissue left! I have been watching it slowly regrow over its own skeleton over the last few months.

Back
Top Bottom