please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

len

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello ppl........have a sick purple tang for sometimes ....it looks like white spots but more like big white patches on the body of this tang!,.....it swims and eat normal......now most of the fish got it, blue face angel. emperor , gramma etc......been treating them with garlic for many weeks but situation getting worse!!.......change water few times. add bacteria vitamins etc! please help!

amm- 0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 50mg
ph-8.0
ca- 390mg

sorry to here this, i use a u.v.sterilizer 2 days before and 4 days after i add any fish. ich only hit me once, red flame angle started it,because i put him in the tank from the fish store.my purple tang got it and so did the red flame. thats when i bought the u.v. sterilizer,hooked it up and wow the ich started to be going away, the red flame did die,bad fish. my purple is still with me today. garlic is good from what i here but never tried it. i may have got lucky with my ordeal, but i swear by my u.v.sterilizer. hope someone else can help out. walt :(

i think that the U.V. sterilizer does help out alot. because i had the same experience with my two tomato clowns when i first added them. i turn on the UV sterilizer for about 2 days and it was gone right away. buy just make sure that all your tank parameters are doing ok because a big swing in the temp, Ph or something can cause ich. you may want to start a quarentine tank also and place your new fish in there before you add them to your tank in the future. i hear this helps alot. but just my opionion. hope you don't loose any fish. good luck

If you put your infected fish in a qtank you could treat it with coppersafe. That will kill the ick. DO NOT treat your main tank with coppersafe. It is only for fish. Inverts and corals dont like it at all.

Kribbz, what kind of uv sterilizer do you have. Why dont you run them alll the time? are you not suppose to??

i have a clear water UV. it came with the tank. i don't run mine all the time because i have heard that it is not to good. alot of people say that it kills the harmfull bacteria in your tank but at the same time kills alot of the benificial bacteria as well so i just find if there is a problem like ick or something i will run it for a day or two, pretty much clears it up. but maybe i'm just lucky.

i agree with that also. it does kill good bact, but hey a couple of days is worth it to me if i can save a 100.00 fish. makes 2 of use lucky then. i have the 9watt DoubleHelix u.v. with a powercompact u.v. lamp, from customsealife. 79.00 8)

I really want to get a Doublehelix. Just dont have the cash right now, but anyway, Does anyone have anymore suggestions for len?

I may have missed it in all the posts, but I have not seen mention of raising the tank temp to about 82 degrees. Also, what size is this tank? Could it be overcrowding that is stressing the fish?

btw, we run our 36 watt doublehelix 24/7 and have not had any issues. If it were killing off all the good bacteria, I think we would have seen some problems by now. Have also had some insane coral growth since it has been running.

Back
Top Bottom