PLEASE HELP-CUPRAMINE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to know how long should I keep cupramine in my tank for in order to kill off all parasites. I have tried it for several times and the longest it was done for was 7 weeks. Please let me know since I just keep getting this now for the last 3 month's. my water parameters are all good and I have a filtration system that people will kill for. please let me know, if anyone can help.

if you want to convert to a reef later in the same tank you want to medicate, DO NOT USE CUPRAMINE. Try to get a QT to use as a hospital where you can medicate all you want. Before you get the QT, do a 20-30 percent water change. Check all parameters and make sure the water is okay. if your fish are scratching or have white spots on them, do a FW dip for five minutes. Actually do it anyways just in case.

HTH

P-MAN

if you want to convert to a reef later in the same tank you want to medicate

so not true !!

:) still disagree ! because this comes up soooo much i think im gonna run a test on a spare 10 gallon ! i will dose with copper and leave it in for 2 weeks ! then do a water change and add some ls and snails !! will take pics as well :)

IME given enough time cupramine will go away. I think it mostly depends on what is in the tank that can absord and hold the copper.

I treated twice with cupramine and later added inverts without changing the substrate or rocks. I dont know that doing so was wise, but it worked for me.

i will do that cause both my tanks have worms pods like crazy and both have had copper in them many times ! one tank i mixed sand and cc (which was dosed ) and worms are better with the cc than the other :-/

fishboy i wish i had an answer for you !! i dont ever have these issues i guess im lucky ! just had a kole tang with ick so i bought two more cleaners and its gone now:) somethings not right somewhere in your set up !! did ya add a new fish in that two weeks?? imo i think people try to dose and fix what they think is wrong and cause more undue stress on their animals ! like the first time they see a fish scratch the freak out !! i dont and things end up ok for me :) i lets things ride out before any treatment of any sort and things either clear up or wasnt anything from the get go !! not saying thats what you should do cause with out seeing your set up first hand and or how you maintain your tanks it could be trouble ! mabe im lucky cause i really only get my fish for the most part from one store !

Well, I have not added any fish for quite sometime. I just want to make sure that all the parasites are killed and exposed to the copper, so I am trying to figure out how long can I have it in my tank in order for no reocurrence.

Since the fallow period is recommended to be 6 weeks, then I'm guessing that covers the entire life cycle of ICH and therefore 2 months should have been more than adequate.

Ich & Marine velvet, I need to know how long would it take to kill all of them if they are exposed to copper since I have treated my tank for 2 month's and it happened again now wiping out my hippo tang, purple tang and about to wiupe out others. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

2 months should easily be long enough so either the dosing isn't correct or it's something else entirely.

Atari said:
either the dosing isn't correct or it's something else entirely.
I would agree. What level is the Cupramine being maintained at and what test kit are you using to measure it? Was the Cupramine purchased recently?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom