Please help kinda 911.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I went into the bathroom and my puffer who is in my 10 gallon was just laying on the bottom and was a wierd color. I was like oh crap. So I hurried and checked the levels on my 50 gallon and they were ok. So I put him in there for the night while I try to revive the 10 gallon to put him back in until I can cycle the 50 I wish I could find a LFS that would keep him while i cycle my 50. Do you guys think this will be ok? He seems happy in the 50 swimming back and forth back and forth. But I cant tell if he is happy or stressed. Please help me here. He is the only one in the tank now i put the damsels in the 10 gallon after i made a water change. They seem to live trough anything.

What do you mean "checked the levels in the 55"? Is the 50 cycled? Went thru an ammonia and nitrite spike? Also, what was up with the 10g tank? Ammonia sky high? We tried to tell you the puffer was not a good idea to start with, and especially in a 10g tank. Hopefuly I'm wrong in my assumptions, but I believe you started off ill advised by the LFS when you bought the puffer, then excitement kicked in - like a lot of us do, and you moved too fast. Believe me, it happens. Just hope you can rebound and move a little slower in order to enjoy this better.

Frankly, I'm concerned about the 50g now and what'll happen next. I got a feeling him swimming back and forth in the 50 isn't a good sign either. I hope I'm wrong. Still, what were the readings in the 10g, and did the 50g cycle? Might help folks help you more.

No it is not cycled yet. I was waiting for my LR. The Nitrites in the 10 gallon now are 0 and the nitrates are at ok ( I only have a dip test for nitrates as of now) Also the ammonia is at 0 but thats after I did the water change. Should I move him back into the 10 until the 50 cycles? I know this is wrong and my LFS kinda screwed me over. If I would have known I wouldnt have done it even if i was excited. I like to do things right but according to them I was you know what I mean. So now I am stuck. I just need your guys's help. Oh and I am going crazy with feeding him he will not eat the cubes or brine shrimp he will only eat grocery store small shrimp and when I try to feed him the cubes or brine it gets everywhere so I dont even try right now. I want to get some silver sides for him I know he will eat those. But My question is is there anyother way to feed him besides just dropping it in? Thanks again. I dont know if he is happy or stressed.

I belive there is a solution Kent puts out called garlic extreme(i think extreme). Anyways i guess the deal is you soak your food in this and even the finicey(sp?) of eaters will probably eat. I have never used it but i have read only good things about it. HTH.

That's exactly as my two recently dead puffers were acting.......

The difference in my case was that the tank was fully cycled. I still don't know what caused the death of my puffers (search out my threads)...some guesses about possible acclimitaion problems...I've now got an empty tank while I do a big re-cycle.

The strange thing for me was that I'd successfully kept a puffer in a 29G for about a year (before having to take back to LFS once he'd outgrown tank) and I had no problems with him whatsoever.

I've been dosing with ammonia daily to simulate bioload and the filtration is now dropping the ammonia from 1ppm (when first dosed) to zero in less than 12 hours....just waiting for nitrites to zero (they've already spiked). Once cycled, I'm doing two 50% water changes with RO and then I'm just going to add 3 Chromis and leave the tank for 3 months before getting anymore expensive fish.

Yea I am thinking about selling him to the lfs and start small or at least do it right I really really like him but I want him to be happy and not stressed.

Yea I am thinking about selling him to the lfs and start small or at least do it right I really really like him but I want him to be happy and not stressed.

That would be my recommendation. Doing it "right" as you say will definitely let you enjoy the hobby more. You'll see.

Do you have any filtration in the 50g? if so, you may want to leave the puffer in there. You probably need to cut WAY back on your feedings. you shouldn't be feeding more than every other day right now. While it's not what most of us would prefer, the puffer himself will cycle the tank for you. 50g water volume is going to keep the AMM levels from spiking too quickly, and if you do water changes to keep the AMM and ITE levels down. True, it's not ideal, but I think putting him back in the 10g will kill him. essentially you'll be using the 50g more like a QT.

It all depends on where you can provide the best environment for him.. which it sounds like is the 50g (if not the LFS as suggested before)

What are the parameters in the 50g? What equipment does it have? does it have any LR or filter media?

It has 7 pounds of LR in it right now I am cureing the other 25 pounds I have. I have 40 pounds of Live bio-active agronite (sp) It has a 350 biowheel, 300watt all glass aquarium heater, and a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead. For lighting I have a T5 series coralife 56watt light it has the light and blue bulbs. I fed him last night so I wont feed him tonight. The levels on the 50G are Nitrite is at 0.3, the ammonia is at between 0 and 0.25 I only have a dip test for nitrates but it says its in the ok range. And the ph is at 7.7-8.0 Its a big jump I belive its somewhere in there (I know thats to low). I fed him something that he REALLY liked yesterday.... Oysters! I dont know if its ok to feed him this. They were in the shell at the local grocers. He gobbled them up!

Ok well I sold the puffer to the LFS today i only go 12.00 but oh well better than nothing I got some fake extra lg plants, and a 3 pack of filters. I also found a better LFS I am in heaven in it! They all know what they are talking about too and actually seem to want to help. Its great. They are also way cheaper. Well anyway I have my 25 pounds of LR cureing and then I will cycle my 50 gallon. I think we are going to get some lights to do mushrooms and such later on too. Eventually a reef tank but thats WAY down the road. Thanks for all your guys's help and I will be on here all the time still asking questions... haha.

ok just take it slow from now on. no offense, but you seem to be pretty impulsive. remember nothing good happens quickly in a salt water tank.

good luck with your 2nd try

I dont know what you mean by impulsive but ya I took things way to fast and it was only cause I was informed with false information. Thanks for your support though.

Yeah, i found out the hard way once, the only thing that happens quickly in a salt water tank is CRASH.. they happen like that *snap* :(

Back
Top Bottom