Please Help - QT Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stock List : six line wrasse, pair of ocellaris clowns, firefish, yellow tang, blue tang.

***No I didn't use a quarantine tank for any fish - I know, shame on me***

Blue tang was the last fish introduced to main tank. About 3 days later he started showing white spots. So I moved all 6 fish into a 20 gallon QT, since they have all potentially come in contact with ich. I'm leaving my main display sit. I am using the hyposalinity treatment in the QT.

I'm pretty sure my blue tang is dying - either from ammonia or ich, not sure -- he's not swimming around or eating as of today. Now the yellow tang has white spots too, but is still swimming around and eating. All other fish are spot free and eat well.

QT: 20 gal, AquaClear 20 filter, Aqueon Pro 50 watt heater.
pH: 7.8-8.0, SG: 1.009-1.010, Temp: 79-80

My questions:

Is a 20 gallon QT too small for 6 fish?

Should I get another QT set up?

And, is it normal to have to do a water change every day in the QT?

It's been 2 days in QT and the ammonia won't drop below 0.25 ppm. I've done up to a 60% water change.

Any advice would be welcomed. I don't know how to build up the bacteria in the QT since I literally had to set it up immediately and put the fish in. I don't want them to die from high ammonia rates....or ich for that matter.

Take some LR from your DT and place it in your QT..A 20 is tight but will work...
Try some chmi-pure in your filter to help bring down the ammonia

So after the 60% water change, I gave up all hope for the blue tang. Well, I came home and he was swimming around and looks better :)

I bought some AmQuel and it seems to be working.

They did! I just hope that I don't have to do them EVERY day for the next 8 weeks! I'm hoping the AmQuel and Stability will cut the water changes down to maybe 2 or 3 a week.

all4wheels2 said:
They did! I just hope that I don't have to do them EVERY day for the next 8 weeks! I'm hoping the AmQuel and Stability will cut the water changes down to maybe 2 or 3 a week.

I used amquel on my QT (the first one when I wasn't prepared), it worked great! You are doing a good job, and no you won't have to do pwc everyday once the bacteria level out.

Back
Top Bottom