Please say its only bubbles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just added a coral beauty to my tank today. It looked perfectly healthy at the store. A vigorous swimmer. Been through the acclimation process this afternoon and have had lights off in tank. It's been about 3 hours since I released the fish into the tank. He's been exploring the rock caves and gets along fine w other fish. I just turned on the lights to take a look at them all. The beauty has tiny white spots that are really noticeable on the dark blue part of his body. They don't look like "seeds" or salt the way ich does. They are smaller. I'm hoping this is just some tiny air bubbles stuck to him from the transfer. Sort of lime when you stick your hand down into a tank and it holds bubbles on it. Any chance I could be so lucky?

Probably not. The air bubbles that sometimes get stuck on fish come off very easily. But some pictures would help

I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.

I was looking at my tank a few minutes ago and noticed a few white spots, had my heart attack and then went back to the tank to see the spots were gone.
Bubbles, all very possible.

I've done the same thing with my cichlid tank when the water level gets low and my filters start putting out lots of bubbles :)

3hrs you wont get any ich thats noticeable like that! Keep an eye on her! You should have done it in a separate tank bro!

Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?

Yeah. I should have put her straight into quarantine. I'm telling you, I had it all set up. The tank is still sitting there with water in it! I second guessed myself when I read about cycling the quarantine tank. Since I set it up the same day I bought the fish I got worried that it would be a death sentence. Now, a few days later it looks more like ich but it only shows up under the aquarium lights. It almost fluoresces.

Do y'all think I should go ahead and catch- treat her? And where do you get the medicine? I looked at Petco and they don't have the Cupertine or anything with that as an active ingredient. Do you get it from a vet?

Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.

Treating ich in a salt water tank is a lot different than fresh. You will never want to use medication in your display tank, especially if its copper based like cupramine. By far the best course of action to treat ich is move all of the fish to a different tank and do a hypo salinity treatment on them while leaving the display tank fishless for no less than 6 weeks.

Agree 100%

I'm still not certain that she has ich, but I have decided to pull them all out and treat them. The yellow angel has some ragged fin and tail. I dont know if the beauty has been picking on her or if she had a disease too. Best just to do the whole quarantine procedure and treat them all.

Got any good tips on catching them?

@ mebbid: how low should the salinity be for a hyposalinity treatment? How long do they stay in? How does that compare to a freshwater dip?

@ mebbid: how low should the salinity be for a hyposalinity treatment? How long do they stay in? How does that compare to a freshwater dip?

the Specific gravity should be from 1.009 to 1.010. You will need a refractometer to measure this accurately enough. They stay in hyposalinity for 2 weeks after their last sign of ich. As opposed to a fresh water dip, it is much much less stressful on the fish and will eradicate all traces of ich rather than being a temporary remedy for a serious outbreak. When my tank first got ich it was soo bad I was worried my clowns were going to die (my firefish was immune *shrug*) They looked better almost immediately after they recovered from the stress of the fresh water dip but that doesn't get rid of all of the parasites by a long shot.

It's approximately 1/2 the amount of salt you normally use to get the right concentration. It's also a pita to keep the pH consistent when doing hyposalinity. I ended up using the water I pulled out of my DT which I dilluted by 1/2 to do water changes in my hyposalinity tank. Not sure if that's recommended but it worked great for me and saved quite a bit of salt..

It was an effort but I got everyone caught and over into the QT this weekend. I lost the yellow angel the first night. His fins and tail were shredded. Don't know if it was a disease or if another fish picked it too much and the move to QT was the final nail in the coffin. Today the bi- color blenny isn't looking too good. He is red around the gills and his color is pale. I think stress is the culprit here because he was perfectly healthy looking and happy in the DT. It is so sad to see him just sitting there on the bottom of the tank and not darting around. Meanwhile, the beauty looks better and she was the cause of all this trouble! I haven't even started the medication yet. My 2 clowns look fine so there is at least one thing positive in this whole ordeal :)

It was an effort but I got everyone caught and over into the QT this weekend. I lost the yellow angel the first night. His fins and tail were shredded. Don't know if it was a disease or if another fish picked it too much and the move to QT was the final nail in the coffin. Today the bi- color blenny isn't looking too good. He is red around the gills and his color is pale. I think stress is the culprit here because he was perfectly healthy looking and happy in the DT. It is so sad to see him just sitting there on the bottom of the tank and not darting around. Meanwhile, the beauty looks better and she was the cause of all this trouble! I haven't even started the medication yet. My 2 clowns look fine so there is at least one thing positive in this whole ordeal :)

What are the parameters of the QT tank? How long was the salt mixed? Whats the salinity?

I think the parameters are good. Temp is 78 matched DT. No ammonia. Spec grav is 1.024. Salt has been mixed about a week

Get a copper test for the meds you put in will have copper make sure to watch that copper. And stay on top of treatments. I QT for 21 days as long as everything is good after the 21 days.

Back
Top Bottom