poor cardinalfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The story:

I had 2 banggai cardinals in my 75 gallon aquarium. They were the only (first) fish, and had been there ten days. (tank was all cycled, I promise, had lots of inverts all doing well). Both fish were doing well, though it had taken me several days to get them eating, which I finally did with frozen brine shrimp.

Saturday morning: Fed fish a little brine shrimp, both fed actively. Went to work. Seven hours later, came home, husband said he'd seen one cardinal lying on the bottom looking sick, then couldn't find him anymore.

I looked, no sick fish anywhere.(other cardinal looking fine and happy) Next morning found him dead in a little crevice in the rocks, partially eaten.

I have a hitchhiker reddish crab well over an inch across when his claws are out. Would he grab a healthy fish way bigger than him?

I have half a dozen aptasia which have been stable and not spreading since my tank was set up over 2 months ago. I was under the impression that the only danger from them was that they could cover everything. Would they sting and kill my cardinal?

This is a mystery to me.

My current readings are: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40 (have been doing weekly water changes to try to get this down), pH 8.2.

Any input welcome!!

Diane

I would suggest a few water changes to get those nitrates down. 20-40 ppm is a little broad ranged but non the less high. Be sure to use well aged/areated SW and do a few 10-15% changes over the next week or so.

As far as what killed the Banggai, it's only guess work. The details provided so far do not point to any conclusions. Since you do not appear to be using a QT for new fish, be sure to keep a close eye on this one for possible problems.

Do you know if these were both males, male/female or both females. Could be one killed the other, any sign of aggression between them previously?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve,

I know those nitrates are high, and I'll step up the water chances from weekly.

The fish showed no aggression toward each other, both were reclusive and ignored each other, don't know the sexes The healthy one is still hanging out in his usual back corner, looking good.

I have no QT, but I guess now I'll put one together. Is one of those little 10 gallon starter tanks from walmart ok?

Diane

dianeww said:
I know those nitrates are high, and I'll step up the water chances from weekly.
Good choice, just be sure the new water is well aged/aerated for a day before use.

The fish showed no aggression toward each other, both were reclusive and ignored each other, don't know the sexes The healthy one is still hanging out in his usual back corner, looking good
Could have been aggression or possibley something unseen happened before you got them. One of the problems is we do not know what they have been through before aquiring them. Sometimes they die for no appearant reason that we can see.

I have no QT, but I guess now I'll put one together. Is one of those little 10 gallon starter tanks from walmart ok?
For your tank size, the 10 gal should do fine. Please reference here...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom