Porcupine puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Generalx5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it common for porcupine puffers to not eat for long periods of time?

I bought a 2.5" porcupine puffer about 2 weeks back, so far I have only been able to feed it 5 times. Initially it wasnt even interested in food. But now it would look and come inspect the food, still wouldnt go ahead and eat it.

I have been able to get it to eat by holding it gently and placing the fish at its mouth, most of the time I have to stick the head of the fish into its mouth, and it would start chowing down on the fish.

I dont want to be doing that everytime, what am I doing wrong here?

Its diet so far consists of frozen silverside fishies from 1" to 2" long. I will try to soak it in some garlic juice tomorrow and see if it will willingly go after it.

Has anyone else experienced this with the porcupine puffer?

John.

Have you tried mysis shrimp or something smaller then 1" in size?

Have you tried mysis shrimp or something smaller then 1" in size?

I bought him/her the same day it had arrived, they wouldnt let me but I begged and begged till they gave up. The second morning was a saturday I recall. I tried frozen mysis shrimp, but those were small, largest were about 15mm long. Those simply got picked off by the smaller puffer that I had. I tried krill, and that didnt work either.

idk, With the other puffer I would just feed normally and let the new puffer eat when he is ready.
You should have just put that puffer on hold at the lfs and waited until they were ready to release him. He may be just acclimating himself to your tank and will eat when he is ready.

It is common for puffers to go on a periodic feeding strike. Have you, by chance, noticed any stringy white feces? These animals do get bored of food and their environment quickly so you will need to feed a variety of foods (silversides, capelin, and various sw fish, shrimp w/shell on, squid heads, etc) make cookie-cubes, and/or use shells or other novelties to keep the fish interested.

Back
Top Bottom