Porcupine puffer looking strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey my procupine puffer has a bizaare condition going on all of the blue is gone out of one eye and his skin on a good portion of his head is all faded is the best way to describe it. Its way lighter than the rest of his body. Here is a pic. he is still eating and swimming around. Is there any chance he got poked by the lion fish? Would that cause this type of result? Everyone else is fine in the tank and water conditions are good. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• sick 002.jpg
    sick 002.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 102
Hey my procupine puffer has a bizaare condition going on all of the blue is gone out of one eye and his skin on a good portion of his head is all faded is the best way to describe it. Its way lighter than the rest of his body. Here is a pic. he is still eating and swimming around. Is there any chance he got poked by the lion fish? Would that cause this type of result? Everyone else is fine in the tank and water conditions are good. Thanks for any input.
What is "good". That don't tell me anything. We need numbers please...

Usually a lionfish sting will cause necrosis where the tissue fades to an opaque to gray, kind of what is displayed in your picture; however, that doesn't mean your poofer was stung either. How is it behaving? How long have you been observing the discoloration? Can you see any lesions or entry point of where it could have been stung? If you believe you need antibiotics then something along the lines of Nitrofurazone, Maracyn 2, or Baytril (whatever is easiest to get a hold of). Medicate either as a bath (bucket can be used) or in a QT, not your main tank.

I just spoke with my fish shop buddy and he says the diagnosis isnt good he said it is a bacterial thing and he has been unable to find an effective cure over the years and there is a chance it could infect my burrfish as well. I will start putting antibiotics on there food and cross my fingers.

I think you have some serious hyposalinity going on... What are you using to measure it?

I'd raise the salinity a tad. It will help the healing process of whatever may be ailing it by allowing it to maintain homeostasis better.

Just checked it again with both units and it is between 1.019 and 1.020 I will do a water change and bring it up a tad

What antibiotics are you putting into its food? The meds I mentioned will take care of bacterial infections, but if injury due to lionfish sting then at least those meds will prevent infection and soothe the wounds. I would also perform a large water change and get those nitrates down along with a carbon addition.

i was using eurithromiacin. I just did a very very hard thing. I had to do a mercy killing on the porcupine puffer his head was all swelled up, he was blind and was not eating he wouldny even swim away from the net. I am so sad I hated to do it but he really seemed to be suffering. I took him out back and buried him. This hobby is starting to tax my emotions I get attached to these little guys. I just hope the last three deaths are not my fault. I think I will wait awhile for another fish.

I feel for you as we are all animal lovers and hate to see a death. Animals die in our care and as long as we learn and try not to do it again it's okay. Remember that a fish, almost any fish will eat another fish that is smaller then it and can fit it in it's mouth. Stress is the #1 killer of AQ fish and you must be leary of adding any fish with a lion fish in your tank. Raise your SG and do a few more PWC's and you should be okay. Don't beat yourself up on this event because as you gain experience with Saltwater tanks you will surely be more careful and not make little mistakes that end up n death. Nature is the survival of the fitest and we all make mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom