Possible copper poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I had a mishap today/last night. My battery powered thermometer fell into the tank and corroded over night. It looks like the nastiest stuff stayed inside, but there was a brown residue (copper I fear) on the outside of the thermometer which I found floating in the tank.

Am I doomed? Nothing shows any signs of distress yet. I did a water change, and am about to go get some Cuprisorb. Will this help? Is it all over? I cant believe this has happened! I must have knocked it in somehow and had no idea.

Thanks,
Matt

It should be fine. That would be iron Oxide most likely, rust. Run some carbon and a polyfilter if you have them and do a few water changes. If you want you can run the cuprisorb, but in a few hours not much if any would get in the water.

Thanks for the reply. I am running Cuprisorb and carbon right now in my fluval 305. What I am worried about is the copper traces on the circuit board inside the poorly sealed thermometer housing. How soon could I tell if any damage was going to occur? I know ordering a copper test would be best, but in the meantime, how might I know if things are going to be okay?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Matt

Well how big is the aquarium? Although i doubt they would leach without a good amount of voltage going through it. In my electrolosys experiment, you need vinegar and high voltage to dissolve it.

Since you're already running media chemically I would also perform a 50% water change and continue to monitor conditions.

Thanks for all the good advice! I am ordering a copper test. As of today, still no apparent damage to anything in the tank except for the wrasse acting like a jerk out of nowhere. :mad:

I am hoping that all is fine. That thermometer was badly oxidized! Oozing all sorts of grossness! And likely was in there all night long.:eek:

Matt

Back
Top Bottom