Possible Emergency with Clownfish, Banded Coral and Sea Serp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what is dipping in freshwater for parasites and how is it done??
A freshwater dip is simply dipping a fish in FW for a couple of minutes. It is thought to kill some parasites such as ick. It is not the best option for the fish. Fish with external signs and symptoms of infection or parasitic hosting are already under a tremendous amount of stress. Netting a fish and dipping them in FW will almost certainly add more stress to them then the benift of the proceedure itself. A better option is to do a Hyposalinity dip, dipping the fish in SW that has a SG of around 1.010 or less. It should be the same temp and Ph as the tank water. Even the benifits of this procedure are still up dor debate. Catching and QT the sick fish is the best way to go.
to put it bluntly... your a This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. if you argue with lando and some of the other experts here
Careful. While many here certainly appreciate the confidence and trust others put in us here, it is the element of debate that makes this a great forum. But fishfirst, you are semi-correct. Personaly I would never argue with the experts here. I can learn far too much from them just by listening. :wink:

My Nitrates are basically 0

Again, You might want to consider getting a different test kit, or having your water professionally tested at a LFS. This shouldn't be, and as Lando commented, what are you nitrites? They can definitley be just as harmful as ammonia.

I acclomated the clownfish exactly how Live Aquaria said so but just a little bit longer, say 15 min just in case

This could be your problem as well. Dumping the fish in a tank with a different salinity and a correct pH (hopefully), and then into your tank, with a possibly different salinity and a pH that is WAY lower, is definitley a pathway for stress. I think all you may have worried about when you were acclimating was a good temperature acclimation, and not an overall water acclimation.

Just to clarify on the FW dip, it does not eliminate parasites in most cases and especially not with C. irritans. At best it may alleviate a heavy infestation but it will not eliminate if from the fish comepletely. The fish must still be properly treated in a QT setting and the main tank left fallow. There is no other 100% accurate means of doing so.

And for those of you who seem to be getting a little emotionally invested in this thread, chill. 8)

Cheers
Steve

also, if you are doing bunches of water changes and the water parameters are not matched to what is in the tank, you could be changing things like ph too quickly and that also is very harmful to fish but moreso to inverts. My thoughts are the starfish are succumbing to the ph factor.

Gay People like fishfirst should get a life. Just b/c i have a life and don't post in this all day long doesn't mean i dont know what i am doing. This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
Thank you, to those who are actually trying to help, but the rest of you go continue your useless lives. Also if done once or twice, freshwater dip does eliminate ich, considering that is what i suspect my fish has.
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
My Nitrates are high so i am doing 20% water changes daily. MY family has always been into saltwater fish and has been into this hobby longer then any of you have been born.
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

Thank you for trying to help for the few of you guys but you really do not know what you are all talking about

I locked this thread. You obviously lack the maturity to discuss this in a civil matter. I don't see any further benefit in allowing this discussion to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom